Impossible clog! Kitchen Sink, Wash Machine, Dishwasher!

Users who are viewing this thread

sleiber

Reaction score
When we run the water in the sink, it takes a minute to go down. When we run the dishwasher, we occassionally see debris in the bottom near the drain, and when we use the wash machine it gurgles and spits out quite a bit of water before the drain lets the water run through. It has been impossible trying to loosen this clog. We've tried everything short of snaking it. We've run a blow bag down the drains and used just about every kind of chemical from liquid plumber to a drain cleaner that was so strong we had to put petroleum jelly around the drain opening so that it wouldn't do any damage to the stainless steel sink! A couple of people have told me that I should go to the cleanout under the house and run a snake up it. Does anyone have ANY other suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That you have a seriously clogged drain is to state the obvious. By your description, it would appear the clog is major and fairly deep into the drain system. What is needed is a plumber with a "real" snake that is not only long enough but with a large enough cutting end to clear the clog. This is not a DIY project. The industrial sized auger requires skill to operate and in the hands of a novice can be literally deadly. Most of the pros advise avoiding the companies with "Rooter" in their name.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It appears you have tried everything EXCEPT what you really need and that is a plumber with the proper snake to clear the drain. What you have tried so far, could have made the situation worse.

sleiber

Reaction score
My dad actually works for the plumbing department at a local county school district. I'm sure he can get what we need and help with the job. I was afraid that we would need an auger for this...

sleiber

Reaction score
He was the one who brought in the blow bag. We tried that and it seemed to help temporarily, but started backing up again pretty quick. I think it may have just been pushed farther in. What might we have done to make the situation worse, hj?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both HJ and I have answered that question already. You seem bound to avoid calling a professional with professional equipment, but that is what you will eventually have to do.

sleiber

Reaction score
Both HJ and I have answered that question already. You seem bound to avoid calling a professional with professional equipment, but that is what you will eventually have to do.

Nobody answered my question of what I did that could have made it worse..

I do have to wonder why you're still trying so hard to get me to call in a local company when my dad has 10+ years plumbing experience in the job he is in now (mentioned above). :confused: He has already said we would probably have to use a snake. We are in a mobile home so, would it really be so difficult to go under the house with a 25-50 ft snake and pull it out of a cleanout? I just didn't want to go through all of that hassle if I didn't have to. Why are you so set on me spending rediculous sums of money to a local plumbing company when I have a plumber in the family?

Last edited:

sleiber

Reaction score
Wow...

How did this turn into a 'woe is me' sob story?

:confused: How is it a 'woe is me' sob story? I'm only asking for advice on how to fix it myself without having to snake it. I never asked anyone to feel sorry for me. I only asked for advice. Is this not a DIY forum?

sleiber

Reaction score
PLEASE lock this thread!

Anyway, I got my response. It will have to be snaked. It's not like plumbing in a mobile home is rocket science, anyway. I no longer care about the question of how I might have made this worse, since I'm not getting much cooperation aside from "Call a professional plumber" (which I did... I called my dad), and the one that got under my skin a little: "How did this turn into a 'woe is me' sob story?" Please lock this thread before there are anymore asinine comments added like that last one. I'm through here.

Last edited:

sleiber

Reaction score
The chemicals, if strong enough could have damaged the piping. The blow bag could have "pressed" the stoppage to make it denser. For starters.

Thank you hj. I was hoping for a response from you since I wasn't seeming to get answers from anyone else, otherwise I would've given up this thread completely and went on my way. I was afraid of the chemicals damaging the piping when I picked them up, but of course they always claim to be safe to use on whatever piping you have. I never thought about the blow bag making the problem worse, though...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
chemicals

IF the chemicals could damage your stainless steel sink, which is very durable, they could definitely damage common metals, and some plastics. With plastic, some chemicals create heat in the pipe and that could soften the plastic lines.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
For some reason people seem to be afraid of the sewer snake. A snake is the first tool that should be used.
Drain cleaning chemicals are a waste of time and money, not to mention that they can be dangerous.

sleiber

Reaction score
For some reason people seem to be afraid of the sewer snake. A snake is the first tool that should be used.
Drain cleaning chemicals are a waste of time and money, not to mention that they can be dangerous.

I've heard that you can use salt brine down your drains monthly for maintenance. I tried to google salt brine and only came up with recipes for brining poultry. What is salt brine? Are there any other things you can do for maintenance other than chemicals? I've only used them in the past for lack of knowing what else I might be able to use. I know bleach helps with some very minor clogs.

IF the chemicals could damage your stainless steel sink, which is very durable, they could definitely damage common metals, and some plastics. With plastic, some chemicals create heat in the pipe and that could soften the plastic lines.

That's what I was thinking when I read that on the back of the package, but I was desperate :(

Last edited:

ChuckS

Reaction score

Yep, cleaning a drain is one of few jobs where duct tape isn't useful.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sometimes use Bio-Clean for drains to keep the pipes clean.

But first, it's a good idea to snake the lines, and then maintain with Bio-Clean.

I'm not a fan of chemicals.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
brine

Salt water may be good to "preserve" whatever is in the drain, and vinegar with baking soda makes a good volcano, but neither does ANYTHING to clear a drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks