Toilet mounting question

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Duder

Reaction score
OK, so I wasn't able to get my Plymouth on craigslist, guy sold it, but I was able to get a NIB Dalton for $50! Sedona Biege too, looks great with this the downstairs wood panel so I'm pretty happy with that. Now when I mounted the AS Champion 4 in the upstairs bathroom to the flange (save the hate everyone) :rolleyes: I noticed that if I knock on it with a kina hard hit, like I was knocking on a door from the side hard, you could see an ever so slight ripple in the water. It's bolted down plenty tight and I'm not really that concerned about it (Should I be?), but I also noticed that none of the old 4049 AS in the house had any ripple in the bowl no matter how hard you hit it. So when I pulled up the old AS downstairs I noticed there is like a clay in the cavities around the trapway and it was like mushed to the floor. I had to scrape pretty hard to get it up. Is this something they used to use to get a better mount? :confused:

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use composite plastic door shims if the floor is not level.

Shim first if needed, then caulk the bowl to the floor with Poly Seam Seal.

shim_it.jpg

shimming.jpg

DIY Duder

Reaction score
It was not clay, it was plumber's putty, which we used in the 50's and 60's before wax rings were invented.

Hummmm... That's weird. Because there was an actual wax ring down too. The toilet has been down since 1962 and never removed. But there is no question there were 2 different substances.

DIY Duder

Reaction score
We use composite plastic door shims if the floor is not level.

Shim first if needed, then caulk the bowl to the floor with Poly Seam Seal.

Thanks Terry
I didn't put down a poly seam seal since it's on the second floor. I was thinking since it's upstairs and I put in plenty of wax in the gap between the flange and the floor, if the wax ring ever failed it would leak onto the floor and I would see the water right away insted of letting it get into the subfloor and walls. Do I need to do that? :eek: Since I had a leak there before and I didn't see it untill it was in the garage I thought this might be better. Did I screw up? lol :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We polyseamseal to prevent water from getting under the bowl.
It's cleaner that way.
You would be surprised to see what little boys can get under a bowl.
Or between the tank and bowl for that matter.
A real good argument for one-piece toilets.

We leave a bit of gap near the back in case the seal leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks