Moen single faucet no hot water?

Users who are viewing this thread

master.legend

Reaction score
ok so I have been researching and reading this forum and I have this moen below. I just bought a short saled house where it was vacant for 8 months so the shower did not get any use. When i turned it on i get full cold but no hot at all! The rest of the house and even that bathroom sink gets hot water. So i researched and replaced the cartridge which thank god came out fully with all orings attached. I installed put back together and dam still no HOT water. So I came accross this post and was wondering what else I can do? Do I need to mess with that large screw which I guess is the balancing spool?I read about white vinegar but humm? So any answers guys??
Thanks Louis
The New Moentrol w/ screwdiver stops/ balancing spool:
picture.php

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Your balancing spool is stuck. You can try tapping the large screw a plier or hammer to see if it loosens (I doubt it will)

The alternative is to remove it and clean out the entire spool with vinegar , as you suggested. It should move freely shaking it back and forth

master.legend

Reaction score
Ok sounds good just what is a guaranteed size screwdriver to take out the spool? Or does moen have a spool removing tool?
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spool

Be advised that that type of spool is often broken, or will break, when you remove it. I always replace them, rather than try to reinstall an old one.

master.legend

Reaction score
Ok so I am going to buy the spool anyway and try to clean the one I have if it cleans I will just return. What's this spools part #?
thanks

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Ok so I am going to buy the spool anyway and try to clean the one I have if it cleans I will just return. What's this spools part #?
thanks

part #1423 . It will probably cost you about $40

Before you go out and purchase it, call moen and see if it has a life time warrenty. I often get them free from moen

Burntside

Reaction score
Be advised that that type of spool is often broken, or will break, when you remove it. I always replace them, rather than try to reinstall an old one.

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to enter this thread, but I have a balancing spool that has broken off inside the valve body. The brass portion broke away from the stainless portion, leaving it and the inside piston behnd. Any tips on how to remove these pieces would be great. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks