The "stuff" in the P-trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Artie

Reaction score
I'm one of those people who always thought that that curved thingy under the sink was to catch your wedding ring when you dropped it. Or maybe the aerator screen when you cleaned it. It was much later in life that I came to understand the "gas-trap" principle.

Now that I know that its supposed to keep a little of the last fluid through it in there, I worry about whats sitting in there . . . like my left-over coffee, or that beer from last nights shindig.

Does anyone else flush the trap for awhile before turning off the water . . . or am I just being anal? :(

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Funny thing about that avatar I don't know where it came from it just appeared on all my recent posts. Not sure but I think it came from Terry, I see he was a visitor to my page. I kind of like it. If so thanks Terry.

John

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm one of those people who always thought that that curved thingy under the sink was to catch your wedding ring when you dropped it. Or maybe the aerator screen when you cleaned it. It was much later in life that I came to understand the "gas-trap" principle.

Now that I know that its supposed to keep a little of the last fluid through it in there, I worry about whats sitting in there . . . like my left-over coffee, or that beer from last nights shindig.

Does anyone else flush the trap for awhile before turning off the water . . . or am I just being anal? :(

I do the same if you dump something other then a clear liquid down there.... Why not?

If you leave beer, coffee, Milk etc. in the trap you will smell it when it starts to rot!

I try to avoid this!:cool:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Wow, flushing the trap after you dump something down the drain? That's a total waste of good water, besides your nightly drain of the dish sink will flush your trap anyways.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Funny thing about that avatar I don't know where it came from it just appeared on all my recent posts. Not sure but I think it came from Terry, I see he was a visitor to my page. I kind of like it. If so thanks Terry.

John

Terry's been known to add avatars if you stick around a while and don't have one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

That is where the Grand Canyon came from on mine. The trap, by definition is supposed to be "self cleaning", meaning stuff is NOT supposed to stay it it. Heavy things like coffee grounds and wedding rings,which do not float in water, and should not be in the drain in the first place, will stay there until there is enough flow to pick them up and carry them down the line, to a point where they again fall out of the flow and start to accumulate to create and eventual stoppage.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Funny thing about that avatar I don't know where it came from it just appeared on all my recent posts.

John,
That was me.
If you go to User CP, you can change your options.
I like the avatars, it helps me know who's posting.

And of course hj's avatar reflects his ageless wisdom, and that he's from Arizona.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks