Can I adapt to a cast iron tee without cutting? Replacing a lead bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

stanman37

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have been asked to help a friend who has a old toilet lead bend that has been repaired so much using epoxy putty that you can't see it anymore. It goes into a old cast iron sewer stack via a tee (I believe it's called). I would like to adapt plastic to the cast iron tee without cutting and wonder if there is a fitting (heard of fernco but can't find anything specific) that would actually adapt to the collar of the tee if I chop/melt the lead out. I researched about snap-cutting a section of the stack out and replacing it with a fernco tee but there is a gas pipe tight to the right of the pipe and a lath and plaster wall directly behind. Don't think I can get the chain around it and would rather keep it intact if I can since it doesn't seem to be deteriorated. I'm attaching a picture - hope it comes out. My main concern is that if I can adapt to the outside of the existing cast tee - what would keep the waste from getting caught on the inside - or would I push the new 3 or 4" pvc or abs deep through the rubber coupling so the waste doesn't get a chance to get hung up on it?

Attachments

• leadbend2.jpg
    leadbend2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4,092

stanman37

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, thank you very much! That is spectacular. If you don't mind some more information.. How far do you insert the abs through the bushing and is it a special type of cement to join the two or just regular abs cement?

Marty53

Reaction score
you can also get a fernco fitting that goes over the whole hub of the cast iron tee.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
you can also get a fernco fitting that goes over the whole hub of the cast iron tee.

Don't do this! You will be creating a lip inside the pipe from the hub of the cast iron fitting. This eventually gather enough stuff to plug your line. Or atleast has the potential to.

Terry's example is a perfect example of how to do it.

stanman37

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't do this! You will be creating a lip inside the pipe from the hub of the cast iron fitting. This eventually gather enough stuff to plug your line. Or atleast has the potential to.

Terry's example is a perfect example of how to do it.

That was the only option I thought I had in the beginning and my concern exactly and the reason for joining this forum. Didn't know I could use a "donut" or "multi-tite pipe gasket" as more research showed. So thank you all for your input. I believe I'll be good with that option.

stanman37

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
As long as you folks are friendly, and this is an active forum, I'll post another picture, further down the line of the lead bend and run my thoughts on that.. This shot is of the old drain pipe which later tees off on it's own to receive waste water from the sink and tub. It feeds into the lead bend as it turns up toward the toilet - through the concrete/cement floor (which we'll probably be best off redoing also - the floor - but anyway)...

I suppose to incorporate this drain system into the same cast iron tee, I'd use a donut as suggested and come out with a short piece of plastic (abs or pvc) to another tee turned almost sideways... (I'm thinking a 3" x 3" x 2") then put the toilet fittings into the 3" straight part and bring a 2" drain into the tee part... or do they still make and allow by code, a similar fitting as shown in the lead - where a 2" drain combines with a 3" bend from the toilet?

Attachments

• leadbend3.jpg
    leadbend3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,925

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

They do NOT make a Fernco that "goes over the hub". There are Ferncos which WILL fit over the hub, but that is not what they were made for, nor is it an approved use for them.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
BTW there are many sizes of these donuts. It took me 2 trys to get the right size. Clean the hub well (I used a side grinder with a wire wheel.) The donut will need to be hammered in place per the instructions.
Also the fernco to the sink pipe needs to be banded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks