Thermostats : Dual Element in a Single Element Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Synicasm

Reaction score
Is it ok to use a Dual Element Thermostat on a Single Element Water heater by just not hooking anything up to the "lower thermostat" connections ?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Why do you think you need a new thermostat? Always change parts with the right/correct part.

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Why do you think you need a new thermostat? Always change parts with the right/correct part.

I would use the upper thermostat. If you use the lower you will have no protection for over heating.

John

PS woethflorida I didn't see that you changed your post recommending using the lower element.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thermostat

Find a "solar water heater" themostat. It is for a single element and has the required ECO, but is less expensive than the SPDT upper thermostat. But otherwise, it is okay to use the upper one as long as you connect the element to the "upper element" terminals.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
At first I did say a lower thermostat but then I realized that it does not have a built in circuit breaker. I "edited" my first comment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks