I do not understand firearms in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I don't understand when you can carry one, what you can carry and how you should do it.

I always figured it would need to be kept locked up at home and not allowed to be taken out, like in England for those farmers that are allowed to own one and use it on their own private land.

But sometimes here I see people in public with them plonked on the bar. And apparently to hide them would be a no-no.

But othertimes they are concealed in a holster.

Sometimes automatics, sometimes not.

It does not make sense.

Can I carry a gun in my hand and walk the street? Or should I tuck it away in a jacket?

A picture speaks a thousand words, so here's a good one explaining my dilemma..

A man at an Obama speech in America..

art.obama.gun.pool.jpg

...apparently legal.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
State laws vary widely. If you really want to carry you should go to an authorized dealer/instructor.

Luckily for me, in Florida, there is no registration and I can keep it concealed in my car without reprocussions. I can also defend myself and property when I feel the need, other states or cities you have to wait until your life is in danger, that is if it's even legal to have a handgun, registered or not.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am beginning to dislike all these State laws. Is there a movement I can join to abolish the States and have the Feds take over everything?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I am beginning to dislike all these State laws. Is there a movement I can join to abolish the States and have the Feds take over everything?

That would really be a screwed up place. I would suggest moving to Alaska or Texas and joining their movements to become autonomous (sp) countries.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks. It must be difficult moving States.

I can envisage situations where:

a) you can't take your handgun with you
b) your wife falls below the age of consent
c) the police in the new place aren't the same as in the old place
d)...and...the next in my series of what I do not understand about America...the liquor laws change!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry old chap but I think...not sure ...that since you are not an American (or are you :cool:) that you can't get a Conceiled Carry Permit...

If you would like to see first hand what it is like on the inside of American jails then by all means just put one in your hand and wave to people with it as you walk down a side walk...with a nice smile of course...:D

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks. It must be difficult moving States.

I can envisage situations where:

a) you can't take your handgun with you
b) your wife falls below the age of consent
c) the police in the new place aren't the same as in the old place
d)...and...the next in my series of what I do not understand about America...the liquor laws change!

Yes, all of the above. I know when I was in MO for a few months, you couldn't buy liquor on Sunday, I think, and when I was growing up in MA, NO store but a ********, and what they called the "bread and milk store" could be open on Sunday. And to this day, you cannot pump your own gas.

eidt: I have no idea why my word for a drug store got asterisked out above!

But as our founding fathers knew only too well, the central government doesn't do anything well. There are things like national defense which it MUST do, but beyond that, the more things the fed tries to do, the more screwed up it gets. We are pretty much knee deep in that mode right now, and Jefferson would suggest that it may be time for a little revolution to set things straight.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
And to this day, you cannot pump your own gas.

You can't pump your own gas in NJ either. Funny thing is, gas is still cheaper in NJ than NY.

That was a good job for high schoolers though. My brother did that while in school and made some pretty good money (for high school).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I think it's time for a Federal revolution. I'll talk to my DC friends who work for the Government and see if we can extend their reach.

I hate pumping my own gas, so I think everyone should have to wait for the attendant, whether in Alaska or Florida.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I forget where I was (travelling) but you weren't allowed to pump your own gas
I was on my MC, no-one puts gas in except me
Poor guy didn't know what to do as I was already pumping the gas
This was back when the recovery systems were not too good & it was PIA to get the pump to put gas in a MC tank

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Nope, but I did watch the A-Team last night and it was brilliant.

I sat two feet away from the TV to watch that every week when I was a kid.

There's a lot of firepower in that. And understanding the gun laws in America I now know why.

The only thing I still don't get is why do you most often need a permit to carry a concealed firearm? What's so special?

Surely a gun is like a peanis. It's more worrying when you are showing it off than hiding it.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
As per my original post, why didn't he shoot you?

He didn't have a gun
and most people won't mess with someone on a MC in leather who looks on the "rough" side

Going to College in Boston I had to pay for a course, asked where to pay
Go up the stairs it will be right in front of you
Up the stairs I go, open the door there are bank like windows & people paying
One person vacates a window, I step forward in full leather, cut off gloves & ask if this is where I pay
Girl looks at me a little confused so I ask again & show her the tuition bill
She says Yes so I pay
I turn around to leave & see a long line stretching down the hallway & around the corner
Long line of students waiting to pay their bill....not a single person said a word
Most looked away....back down the stairs I go.......:D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score

Oh, MC is a motorcyle.

I thought you were referring to an AMC!

Dave and his AMC Pacer...
1975-amc-pacer.jpg

Its great design feature was to have a passenger door that was much longer than the driver's door so your children could safely and easily climb into the back. Great idea. But then they had the even greater idea of selling it in England with right-hand drive. Unfortunately they couldn't swap the doors over too, forcing your children to climb aboard on the same side as the traffic.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ian, you are absolutely right. It is virtually impossible for the average citizen to understand all of the laws in all 50 states and here's why. Each state has the right to enact laws that affect just the people within that state. These laws can cover virtually everything. Moreover, some state give counties within the state power to enact more stringent laws that the state statues. A few quick examples. Some states permit counties to determine "wet or dry". Some states permit counties to determine what may be sold on Sundays. Concealed weapons laws vary from state to state. Most permit long guns to be carried, but most have exceptions as to where any weapons may be carried. The list goes on forever, so yes, it is confusing even to those of us who are lifelong citizens when we travel to other places, and no, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. You just have to understand, and if you order a beer on Sunday and are refused because the county you are in is dry, you'll know why.

Reaction score
The people in DC who work for the government are part of the problem....they don't want any solution@!

Must be talking about the GOP. :D (The party of "no" as in no solutions, no plans, and no idea how to run a govt. or balance a checkbook.)

BTW, Missouri has repealed most of its old "Blue Laws." I'm not sure when they did it, but they are much different now than what they were 20 years ago. You can buy beer on Sunday now. And you can buy tools, hardware, etc. then too. (No more closing off sections of the store which was completely absurd.)

Texas and many Southern states have dry counties. Some cities have dry precincts. In the South the way this worked is that the "God fearing" Southern Baptists didn't want liquor stores where they lived. But they did want nudie bars and liquor stores accessible, and to be able to buy alcohol with dinner in restaurants or private clubs nearby. So the solution was to push the liquor stores to the county line...or in another section of town (precinct)...typically one with a darker average complexion. Didn't see many nudie bars until I moved South...then it seemed like one couldn't swing a cat without hitting one.

The Blue Laws were/are a sort of statewide religious law enforcement system--milder than what the Saudi's do, but the same principle. They've weakened considerably over the years.

The gun laws of the U.S. are a byzantine mess (from my perspective as gun owner who will defend life and property and has been through the Texas concealed carry permitting.) Good luck trying not to run afoul of them if you carry while on vacation. Keeping track of states with reciprocity for concealed carry and all that--not to mention the restrictions within each is a pain. Waiting periods and permits, you can't carry here, can carry there, only if on a "bona fide" trip, etc. Common sense says to conceal...law says otherwise...but can make you susceptible to brandishing charges (or theft.)

Can't say that I'm terribly impressed with the oddball state laws, whether in NJ, CA, TX, GA, AK, AL, MS, LA, MO, KS, WA, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks