low water level in toto toilet bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

mrfixerupper

Reaction score
The water level in the toto toilet bowl is very low. When I flush, the flapper closes before the tank is completely emptied. I replaced the flapper with the correct flapper. Any suggestions on how to keep the flapper open longer so the tank fully empties into bowl????

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water level in a toilet bowl is determined by the weir not the amount of water poured into the bowl, and there is nothing you can do to change it. Some water spots are larger than others, but that is determined by design. The tank on low flow toilets is not supposed to empty. The flapper is designed to close when the prescribed volume of water has emptied. The "extra" water in the tank provides a little more pressure for the water that is emptying. You feel on a particular flush that additional water would be helpful, you can empty it just by holding the handle are couple of seconds. It would sound like you defeated the low flow with the flapper you installed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Make sure the rubber hose is pointed inside the overflow tube.
This is what fills the bowl.

The flapper drops quickly so the toilet will use 1.6 gallons or less.
If the tank were to drain, it would be a 3.0 gallon toilet.

linksnut

Reaction score
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

I have the same problem... and the rubber hose is pointed inside the tube... about 2 inches of the tank gets filled, not the usual amount. Is there anything I can do to adjust this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Very little water leaves the tank. The flapper will lift and drop.

Are you wanting more water to leave the tank, or is there a concern about bowl water.
If you slowly pour water into the bowl, you will find the top level it will take.

TimLind53

Reaction score
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Thank you so much. At some point my black hose got clipped on the wrong side of the white overflow tube (which results in very low water in the bowl). I've corrected this and used my label maker to put an instruction label on the inside back of the water tank just above the top arch of the black hose in the photo. That should jog my memory if I'm ever working in the toilet tank again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks