Removal of Bathtub Drain Piece

Users who are viewing this thread

bbbluueyes

Reaction score
Hi - thanks in advance for any advice.

I am trying to remove a bathtub drain piece(on the floor of the bathtub) in order to install a new overflow piece and drain piece.

Is there a special tool to do this? I have tried a needle nose pliers with not success. The "grill" of the drain piece is totally gone...

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Paul

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A Dumbell Wrench is used in that application. But it grips on the cross in the drain. Is that still there?

If the drain looks like the one below, you may need to pull the "shoe" out with a wire coat hanger.

I snake from the upper overflow, but the linkage and the stopper need to be pulled out first.

pp19010.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This has been described before. Basically cut a notch in the rim of the drain, ensure you don't go too deep and damage the tub. Then, use a cold chisel in that notch to wack it counter-clockwise to unscrew it from the shoe below.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The cutout slot must go all the way to the rim so the remainder can flex inward and release the thread and that is where the novice can create a problem and/or damage the bathtub.

trevor.smith

Reaction score
I've run into some trouble.

I am trying to remove my bathtub drain, but of course I have run into a problem. I put a notch in the drain for the chisel to sit while striking it with a hammer (although mine did not look nearly as nice as the picture from The Family Handyman), but the drain collar broke off while in the process of tapping it loose! Please advise as to the best course of action for proceeding. Since the collar broke off, I tried to saw a notch down the length of the remaining portion of the drain (perpendicular to the threads) to catch the chisel and tap loose the drain. But, this does not work. The drain and associated plumbing now have a lot of give so each strike of the hammer moves the plumbing and lessens the effect of the strike. It is as if the plumbing is subject to damage with each strike. Is there a way for me to free the remaining portion of drain, or am I relegated to a more drastic measure such as replacing the attached pipe? Thanks for your help.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I do that only I use a sawsall...it makes the job go quicker but you do have to be very carefull not to cut the tub...so far I havent cut a tub...

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I am trying to remove my bathtub drain, but of course I have run into a problem. I put a notch in the drain for the chisel to sit while striking it with a hammer (although mine did not look nearly as nice as the picture from The Family Handyman), but the drain collar broke off while in the process of tapping it loose! Please advise as to the best course of action for proceeding. Since the collar broke off, I tried to saw a notch down the length of the remaining portion of the drain (perpendicular to the threads) to catch the chisel and tap loose the drain. But, this does not work. The drain and associated plumbing now have a lot of give so each strike of the hammer moves the plumbing and lessens the effect of the strike. It is as if the plumbing is subject to damage with each strike. Is there a way for me to free the remaining portion of drain, or am I relegated to a more drastic measure such as replacing the attached pipe? Thanks for your help.

Make a 2nd cut 1/4" away from your perpendicular cut. Then remove the 1/4" section. Take a small screw driver an peal the rest out.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks