Pressure not building

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim in Miramichi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I have a problem that I am helping my uncle with at his place. I have a similar problem at my house (miles away, very different depths) and I'm hoping that helping him will let me solve my own problem.

His pump will kick in and begin building pressure, but it will only build to 28 psi.

He has set the switch to run at 20/40 for the time being, so what he is doing is running the water very sparsely. When the pump kicks in, he goes down and turns it off and back on again. This way, he is keeping the pump from burning out.

He assumed it was a problem with the foot-valve, so we dug up the well head and pulled it out. We replaced the lines and the foot-valve and put everything back down and hooked it up. But, we are still having the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
is it a two line system with a jet in the well? If it is, the jet can get plugged with crap and cause your problem. Pull it up again, remove the jet and clean it out.

Tim in Miramichi

Reaction score
is it a two line system with a jet in the well? If it is, the jet can get plugged with crap and cause your problem. Pull it up again, remove the jet and clean it out.

It is a two line system as you guessed.

There is a jet, and we ran a lot of water through it. To check that it was clean I placed the end of the jet that leads to the foot valve in a bucket of water and blew into one of the other ends that leads to the house. Water splashed back up at my face, so I took that to mean that it was pretty clean (my face...not so much).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Things that can cause that problem

something in the jet
Jet is worn out
Suction line leak
Pressure line leak (the on to the jet, smaller pipe)
Worn out pump

I'll still be on something in the jet. You really need to run something through the jet like a straight coat hanger

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Peter Griffin's right!

The nozzle in the jet assembly is plugged or partially plugged. You need to remove the jet assembly and remove the fittings from the larger inlet pipe on the assembly. Then remove the Venturi it's a long tube unually protuding out of the jet assembly (it's a right handed thread). take a 3/4" long socket and unscrew the nozzle deep in the jet assembly (it's a right handed thread as well). Then clean out the nozzle. It should have a 1/4" hole in it. Check the nozzle hole with a 1/4" drill bit. . . if it's a larger hole replace the nozzle or the whole jet assembly. Clean everything up good and replace everything being sure nothing plugs the nozzle again. Reinstall everything, prime the pump and you will have pressure again! Pumps don't build much pressure, they just move the water. The jet assembly builds the pressure.

Porky, MGWC
Master Ground Water Consultant

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks