Rewiring a 200 Amp electrical panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My 100 amp electrical panel is messy with all the wires that have been added over the years.

When I pay a licensed electrician to upgrade this to a 200 amp panel, will they make the wiring neat again?

I have seen some very neatly wired panels out there.

And yes, I am not referring to code compliance, just tidy cabling in the panel.

Opinions please.

Jeff1

Reaction score
I just had a panel replaced and the electrician made all the wires very neat. Maybe it depends on who does the work?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
When I pay a licensed electrician to upgrade this to a 200 amp panel, will they make the wiring neat again?
Smaller panels tend to look like crap quickly. The panel in an average 100-200 upgrade usually winds up looking nice due to the added space.

I have done 200-200 change outs that wound up looking terrible in my own opinion because of many circuits and old wiring.

Bottom line is only your electrician can answer this question.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
...When I pay a licensed electrician to upgrade this to a 200 amp panel, will they make the wiring neat again?...

Many moons ago, I used to work in an electronic product development area. The engineers would create a new electronic product and it would have a "rats nest" of messy wiring.

It worked fine.

Then they would "clean it up" and run the wiring neatly for the final production design.

Many times it would no longer work!
(Of course when rewiring it, someone connected a wire wrong... :confused: )

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

I would hope so.

When I change a panel I always strive to get the wiring organized and accessible.

Sometimes I will take the time just to clean up a messy panel even if I am not changing it. A little common sense and some wire cutters will do wonders.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks