Basement bathroom plumbing options (pump up to septic line)

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We are in the beginning stages of planning to install a full bathroom (stall shower, toilet, sink) in the basement of our ranch home.

We have a septic tank. The main waste line runs under the floor of the main floor (or ceiling of basement), then out to the septic tank. Therefore, we are gonna need some sort of system to pump up waste to the main waste line.

I have just begun to do some research on the options for pumping the sewage from the bathroom up to the waste line.

Preliminarily, it seems there are two options: break through the concrete to install a pump up system OR install a system that has the pump on the floor (such as the Liberty Pump system here: http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=36&s=0&c=21)

I am looking for opinions from the folks here on what are the best options....pros and cons.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
hj --

thanks for replying....
the contractor I might be using to do this bathroom (a friend of mine) also recommended cutting into the concrete.......at least thats what the plumber he uses on his house flips does....

I agree a pump box behind/under the toilet doesn't look as nice.....I mean, if it just a case of aesthetics, I believe the pump con go behind the wall of the bathroom onto the unfinshed side of the basement (so there would be access to it), so you just wouldnt see it in the bathroom anymore.

I dunno.....I just figured I could save a large chunk of labor costs by avoiding cutting into the concrete....No?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
We are in the beginning stages of planning to install a full bathroom (stall shower, toilet, sink) in the basement of our ranch home.

We have a septic tank. The main waste line runs under the floor of the main floor (or ceiling of basement), then out to the septic tank. Therefore, we are gonna need some sort of system to pump up waste to the main waste line.

I have just begun to do some research on the options for pumping the sewage from the bathroom up to the waste line.

Preliminarily, it seems there are two options: break through the concrete to install a pump up system OR install a system that has the pump on the floor (such as the Liberty Pump system here: http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/SubCategory/Product/?p=36&s=0&c=21)

I am looking for opinions from the folks here on what are the best options....pros and cons.

Thanks for the help.

Go with the system that requires breaking up the floor. Both systems will require some maintenance. It would be much better to work on it in a unfinished room rather then in a finished bathroom. It also will not require you to have a steep up shower.

John

Reaction score
Go with the system that requires breaking up the floor. Both systems will require some maintenance. It would be much better to work on it in a unfinished room rather then in a finished bathroom. It also will not require you to have a steep up shower.

John

ahhh....step up shower didnt think of that. I think that would look kinds cheesy probably.

Is the "underground" system typically that much more expensive?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
ahhh....step up shower didnt think of that. I think that would look kinds cheesy probably.

Is the "underground" system typically that much more expensive?

I don't think there would be that much difference in price. You will have the additional labor to cut into the concrete floor. But if your doing the work that would be free. The hole in the floor would have to be 30" in diameter.

John

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I hate the above floor pump/tank units. I know they have their place but the tank is too small, getting proper support for the floor under the toilet and still maintaining accessibility to the tank and pump is a pita, and working on the pump if need be is a disaster.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You will have the additional labor to cut into the concrete floor. But if your doing the work that would be free.

Don't underestimate the cost of your time...could be spending time w/ the wife, girlfriend, kids, friends, beers, working, etc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only downside of going into the floor for a tank is if you have a high water table.

Reaction score
The only downside of going into the floor for a tank is if you have a high water table.

Thats an interesting point.....I am not sure if this will be an issue though; but it definitely has me concerned.
I do have a sump pump. It will run during heavy rain storms or if there is a heavy rain and snow melt simultaneously.

Supposedly (according to my neighbors) the land my house is built on was a small pond or something that the kids used to skate on in the winter......apparently it needed tons of backfill to pass a perc test.

Is there any way to tell for sure if the water table will be an issue before we break up the concrete??

thanks....
mm

Reaction score
I don't think there would be that much difference in price. You will have the additional labor to cut into the concrete floor. But if your doing the work that would be free. The hole in the floor would have to be 30" in diameter.

John

This is not a DIY project....
I will definitely have a professional plumber and electrician and contractor doing the work.

Reaction score
Getting ready for plumber....

My plumber and GC for my basement bathroom are coming tonight to look at the basement and go over the plans for the bathroom.

This will be the first time the plumber has seen the basement.

Basically, we are doing a full bath (toilet, stall shower, and sink) in our basement. Half of the basment is completely finished. We will be breaking through the wall of the finished side into the unfinished side for the bathroom.

House is on a septic system. We will need some sort of pump up system.
As suggested by the above thread, we will be breaking through the concrete and installing a sewage pump up system.

I just want to be prepared, so here are some questions I have:

Pump Up System --
1. What type of sewage ejector system is best? Grinder or Ejector?
2. What brands of pump up systems are best? Liberty? Zoeller? Little Giant?
3. Is there anything about installation of the pump up system that I should be aware of? Pipe size? Venting? Check valves? Plumbing codes? Etc?

Septic system --
1. House is a 3 BR 1 Bath ranch. I beleive the septic tank is a 1000 gallon tank. Is there any problems in adding the additonal full bath?

Any bits of adivce/lessons learned/guidance you can give me to make sure my plumbing goes well for this project, it would be great.
Thank you.
mm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks