Whole House Water filter? Will that make the Sulfer smell go away?

Users who are viewing this thread

87vertgt

Reaction score
the "helpful" folks at Home Depot told me to buy this....what ya think?

Attachments

• water filter.jpg
    water filter.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 512

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Only if it contains a carbon cartridge. And then it won't do it for long until you have to replace the cartridge. That's IF you have H2S gas that is not caused by bacteria instead of naturally occurring H2S. IF you bacteria, the odor will get worse because bacteria thrive in carbon.

Or if the odor is only in the hot water, it is caused by bacteria, so the filter will not help unless it is on the outlet of the heater and then you need a hot water rated filter. Or, simply increase the temp of teh heater to 140f for a few hours and that will kill the bacteria but, if you decrease the temp, they will come back. Or remove or replace the anode rod with a different type material.

cam100

Reaction score
I use a similar system for the sulfur smell in my water. In my case, it is caused by dissolved gas, not bacteria. I have to replace the carbon whole-house filter about once every 3 months. It works to my satisfaction, but as Gary pointed out, you have to learn more about your problem to know if it will work for you.

First, get your water tested and let them know your situation so that they do the right kind of test.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks