Quick Review: Am. Std. Dual Flush and Rona Dual zfl.

Users who are viewing this thread

snuffbox

Reaction score
I am applying for a water savings grant and am redoing all three bathrooms, but the first thing I did was install three toilets.

1.) Rona (Canada) Dual Flush Toilet. Rona is a big box store in Canada, a competitor to Home Depot and other. I believe this toilet is made by Foremost. It appears to have the same innards as the American Standard, but the bowl is different. The MaP score is 700+ iirc. It cleans and flushes very well. It was 249.00 Canadian and was a bargain as far as I am concerned. 4l/6L flushes. The toilet comes with a lid, wax ring, and all the screws and hardware. Bargain!

2.) Since they were sold out when it was time to install toilet #2, I went with a push button dual Flush from American Standard. It has a different jet and bowl setup and flushes good, but not as good as the Rona toilet. It has a smaller water spot, stains a little more. Still a good toilet, but I would rank it behind the Rona toilet. I needed to buy hardware, lid, wax ring, and the bowl and tank are separate boxes so they nickel and dimed the consumer a bit.

3.) The basement we went with a 6L American Standard Cadet III ADA, with flush right technology. I bought the slow close lid for extra $$ but the girls never close the lid, so that was a waste of money. It flushes stronger than the old Crane that was down there, and as far as I am concerned, the urban legend about 6L in the basement does not apply to these new toilets. I was going to go with a Champion, but it was 100 dollars more.

All in all, I am happy that the toilets have joined the rest of us in the new millennium. Those of you who are too cheap/lazy to change out your toilets should give these a try!

We can get a grant of 100 dollars per toilet for installing water saving toilets, so that was also a little incentive for us.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Congratulations on your success with American Standard. Many of the plumbers on this forum have reported frequent quality issues with American Standard and as a result will only install them if the owner purchases them and agree to be financially responsible for any and all future problems with them. I doubt that your apparent success will sway many of us away from Toto, but they are working for you and that's what counts.

snuffbox

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.

I had a hard time finding Toto up here, and when I did, I had trouble believing that some plumbers should charge 500.00 (uninstalled) for a toilet that is listed as 330.00 in the USA. I am a DIY'er and if I am only out 150.00 on a toilet that I can get 5 - 8 years of use out of, I am satisified.

As far as the entire American standard line, I have noticed some improvements from even two years ago when I renovated my old house, but I can not honestly discuss longevity issues or reliability. Some of the boxes of the toilets indicate that there are various countries manufacturing these things (Mexico, USA, China, others) so who knows how they do quality control in their factories.

The valve system on the dual flush looks suspiciously similar to the insides of three other manufacturers that I have looked at, so I was confident that my 255 was well spent on their dual flush. I may report back in 3 years complaining, but so far I am happy with them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would be frosted if I could only get 5 years life out of a toilet. Not including an occasional flapper, of course,

Foremost, the Canadian headquarters of the Chinese company, makes the Glacier Bay brand for HD, and other cheap toilets as well. My first comment is good luck on finding any repair parts.

Down here, I don't think anyone would agree that anything sold as "toilet in a box" as you have was ever any good, but you are having good performance with your purchase, and I never argue with success!

snuffbox

Reaction score
I just spent $9500.00 on a high efficiency furnace, new a/c, and and a power vented gas water heater. In my mind, only $150.00 (after rebates) for a toilet that cuts water usage by 65%, and flushes better than the old 18 year old toilets is a great investment!

As far as my "5 year" remark, that was just a worst case scenario. I have never had a toilet fail after 5 years, but was trying to be pessimistic. Although, if I did get 5 years I would not be thrilled, but would not be angry. If I get 10+ years out of it, with our crappy water, I will do the snoopy dance.

I will not demonstrate the snoopy dance, so don't even ask. :)

pingu

Reaction score
Rona Collection dual-flush

Installed this one last year.
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~toilet-dua...llection-178222_plumbing_eco-responsible_shop
Great price, nice sleek styling. Everything except wax seal included, I did it myself in an hour or so (no experience necessary!).

It's a bit higher than our old 13l toilet - why aren't ALL toilets this high? It's just so much more comfortable!! - with an insulated tank (no condensation anymore) and flushes very, very well on both settings. Easy to keep clean. Huge improvement over the old American Standard. Would recommend to anyone.

Attachments

• rona_toilet.jpg
    rona_toilet.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 5,342
Last edited by a moderator:

agent

Reaction score
DO NOT get Rona dual flush!

Installed this one last year.
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~toilet-dua...llection-178222_plumbing_eco-responsible_shop
Great price, nice sleek styling. Everything except wax seal included, I did it myself in an hour or so (no experience necessary!).

It's a bit higher than our old 13l toilet - why aren't ALL toilets this high? It's just so much more comfortable!! - with an insulated tank (no condensation anymore) and flushes very, very well on both settings. Easy to keep clean. Huge improvement over the old American Standard. Would recommend to anyone.

Do you import these or something? Unless you are making a profit I do not know why you would post that? It does not flush anything! They should call it a urinal. The only way I can get it to flush is dumping a bucket of about 15 litres of water, plus another flush to leave clean water. how efficient is that?

I thought another forum poster was joking, or maybe it was a big guy, but I'm small... even my wife plugs this thing.

Now I have to go through the trouble of un bolting it, taking it down a flight of stairs and driving it back to get a refund. what a pain.

Also, if you are having children, go with a lower toilet. The taller ones make sense in a master bedroom, but children will have a hard time with the high toilets.

agent

Reaction score
Good model

two piece rounded het
TL-7600HC-HET, TTG

This is a 4.8 litre single flush and it does the job. I was extremely impressed.

This one is made by Foremost.
Surprisingly, Foremost also makes the horrible Rona dual flush (model 8237) too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks