Getting rid of water hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I built a homebrew automated sprinkler system with the use orbit 3/4" sprinkler valves and garden hoses. It's just connected to the spigot outside. That means, it's temporary and I will have to remove it in winter. It's working pretty well.

However, even though it's temporary, I would like to address an issue that I am experiencing. There are times when it turns off, I will hear a loud hammer on the pipes. About 85%, it happens. Are there any ways to prevent it without putting a hammer arrestor? I'm looking for a temporary solution if there are any.

v1r-01.jpg

Thanks!

Neil

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What type of valves.And how is it piped between the valve and the faucet? Upper

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi. This is what I have, 3/4 inch Orbit Sprinkler Valve 57100 model. Please see link below.

The faucet is about 7-8" higher than the valve. I'm using a pvc pipe. Please see picture below.

v1r-01.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The easiest fix would be to remove the brass hose bib with galvanized coupling,
Replace the coupling with a threaded tee, and insert a threaded hammer arrestor in one side of the tee.

C653B.jpg

Last edited:

tomm

Reaction score
what/how many heads are connected at the end of the hoses? how long are the hoses? what is the pressure?

Last edited:

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The easiest fix would be to remove the brass hose bib with galvanized coupling,
Replace the coupling with a threaded tee, and insert a threaded hammer arrestor in one side of the tee.

That's a very cool idea! I'm going to print out my picture and bring it to the store. Thank you so much!!! :D

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
what/how many heads are connected at the end of the hoses? how long are the hoses? what is the pressure?

1st valve - one oscillating sprinkler
2nd valve - one oscillating sprinkler
3rd valve - 3 impact sprinklers

The garden hoses pipe lengths are somewhere 60ft long per.

I think the length of the garden hose doesn't matter. It's because, the hammer happens before the sprinkler valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks