Gould pump keeps running

Users who are viewing this thread

Templass

Reaction score
Well, I'm back ... same problem different year, and I'm going crazy.

We have a 280' deep well with a 3/4 hp Gould pump, in the basement. The pump shuts off, but only after it runs for 1/2 hr or so. We lowered the switch setting to 17-37 because it seemed to take forever to go beyond the 37 psi level. Needless to say, our pressure sucks.

When we run the outside hose with the water wide open it loses pressure after a while and water slows to almost a trickle.

Do we need a new pump ... new well (nooooooooo)?

I know nothing about the insides of the pump, but I'll tackle anything (as long as it's explained sorta like a Dummies for Pump parts book).

Thanks guys, ahead of time, because I LOVE this website. I tell everyone about it.

Regards,

Jackie:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I moved your post to this forum, you should get more help here. From my unprofessional thoughts, not being able to build pressure implies: running out of water, a break, leak, or split in the pipe, or a bad pump. Probably other reasons...hopefully the pros can help.

My feeling, trying to pull a pump from that depth for a novice is not something you should try. Depending on how deep the well actually is, and the current depth, and recovery rate, they may be able to lower it. I think it's time for a pro.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If all your valves are open,then you need to pull it.Maybe if you have a Captive air it could be a bleeder valve that would be the least expensive.How ols is the pump? Upper

Templass

Reaction score
Pump is in the basement (above ground). Also, we replaced an old blatter tank (3-4 gal) with a new one about 3 yrs ago. Would that have an effect?

Jackie

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Your bladder tank is only 3 to 4 gallons? Do you have a cyclestop valve? Upper

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A deep well jet pump is good to about 150' but no more than 180'.

You don't say how old the pump is but the jet in the j-body in the well on the end of the drop pipe could be partially blocked or worn out. The foot valve could be partially blocked. The impeller in the pump could be worn out.

The pump and j-body jet and nozzle are married so changing both is usually required.

The water level in the well could be down due to drought or new wells in the area and the pump is struggling to deliver water from that depth.

Templass

Reaction score
The blatter tank is a 9 gal. After we replaced it, that's when we seemed to start having the problem.

Templass

Reaction score
Ok, here's what doesn't make sense to me: If the tank is full, and it is, why won't it build pressure? Is there something in the pump that may need fixing, and if so, what? Where are the jets?

Jackie

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The well is 280' so there has to be a jet down the well somewhere. bits of rust and crap often will partially plug them and or if it's been there awhile, they will wear out. Either way, the top needs to come off and the lines need to come out. Not a job for a homeowner. Both pipes will be full of water and very heavy requiring special tools to get it out safely. Remember, if you drop it, you're really screwed.
Call a well & pump company.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The well is 280' so there has to be a jet down the well somewhere. bits of rust and crap often will partially plug them and or if it's been there awhile, they will wear out. Either way, the top needs to come off and the lines need to come out. Not a job for a homeowner. Both pipes will be full of water and very heavy requiring special tools to get it out safely. Remember, if you drop it, you're really screwed.
Call a well & pump company.
The well being that deep does not mean the drop pipe(s) are that deep, actually they can't be.

You really don't have much weight, the part in the water doesn't weigh much until it comes out of the water. The weight is from the static water level up to the surface of the yard. Two guys should be able to pull the drop pipe with little effort. I've pulled stuff like that alone from 150' deep.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The well being that deep does not mean the drop pipe(s) are that deep, actually they can't be.

You really don't have much weight, the part in the water doesn't weigh much until it comes out of the water. The weight is from the static water level up to the surface of the yard. Two guys should be able to pull the drop pipe with little effort. I've pulled stuff like that alone from 150' deep.

Yea, you are correct. What was I thinking? This is for sure a DIY job ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks