Here I am...Kicking and Alive

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
You will, you will be here watching your wife spend your pension. :) You will see.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Lee, I thought you dropped off the face of the earth! I am glad to see you are back, how have you been?

Well enough, and I thank you for asking!

After an attack on my heart 10 years ago, I took and aspirin every day until I had to go get two units of blood because of some internal bleeding nobody could ever find ... and now I take a low-dose aspirin daily without trouble. But overall, I stay as far away from the witch's cauldron as possible.

Cookie

Reaction score
You brought up a very good point here Lee. If anyone knows they are going to have surgery of any kind, even dental cleaning to stop taking the aspirin or naproxen. Naproxen is found in products like Aleve, etc. Always read the labels. It is good practice to always stop these things at least a week before surgery this is something that needs to be told to the doctor that day of surgery if you haven't. Trust me on that one. I get the feeling as you well know, too Lee. This goes for all vitamins as well, even a daily mutli vitamin. Or if you take herbs in pill form. Like a garlic pill, etc. For the sake and the love of God, stop the garlic pill, lol. before surgery. :)

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Hey Cass, glad you are OK buddy, sorry I been playing catch up on all the forums. I was away for a week.

I just was taken off the rat poison. I was on it due to pulmonary Embolisms I had in 2006. I thought all I had was a bad chest cold, but when it got to the point where I could only walk 5 feet before I ran out of breath, I figured time to see the doc.

They had me hooked up to an EKG machine and a machine that watches my BP and amount of oxygen in my blood,. They noticed my BP was up and my O2 levels where low even with oxygen mask on. So the sent me down for a CT scan with a contrast. On the way back up a doc was telling me I had blood clots in the arteries in my lungs there where to many to count and they where huge. The right lungs artery was completely clotted shut and the left side it was barley squeaking by. They said if I waited two more days I would of just stopped breathing and died.

So they put me on a hemprin drip and in the ICU for two weeks to figure out where the clots came from. (they still do not know to this day) I was on warferin all that time till now they are going to run a few tests to see if I have to go back on it or not.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
pulmonary Embolisms
...and at least three heart attacks.

Can we just hold on here a minute, pleeeeeeeease. Is anyone that posts on this forum in good health?

If so, please raise your hand.

So far, it looks like just Terry and only because someone has to dress up and play doctor.

I have minor chest aches and pains a lot, just like your arms and legs might feel after a hard day's work. I do not know if this is normal. When should someone worry? I do get a lot of anxiety.

Funnily enough remodeling work is one of the few things that relieve my anxiety.

I am cool as a cucumber laying pipe. When I am wiring I do not have a care in the world.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Hey Cass, glad you are OK buddy, sorry I been playing catch up on all the forums. I was away for a week.

I just was taken off the rat poison. I was on it due to pulmonary Embolisms I had in 2006. I thought all I had was a bad chest cold, but when it got to the point where I could only walk 5 feet before I ran out of breath, I figured time to see the doc.

They had me hooked up to an EKG machine and a machine that watches my BP and amount of oxygen in my blood,. They noticed my BP was up and my O2 levels where low even with oxygen mask on. So the sent me down for a CT scan with a contrast. On the way back up a doc was telling me I had blood clots in the arteries in my lungs there where to many to count and they where huge. The right lungs artery was completely clotted shut and the left side it was barley squeaking by. They said if I waited two more days I would of just stopped breathing and died.

So they put me on a hemprin drip and in the ICU for two weeks to figure out where the clots came from. (they still do not know to this day) I was on warferin all that time till now they are going to run a few tests to see if I have to go back on it or not.

So, Ratz,

Are you saying that is why you love those rats of yours so much? (they are saying you can have all the rat poison you want they don't want it) :)

That had to have been so hard Ratz, yet look what we can overcome. Isn't it all amazing?
Their is a reason why.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Oh the irony of a guy that calls him self a sewer ratz taking rat poison to stay alive was not lost on me.I just hope i do not have to go back on it. While taking the stuff any small bump can lead to internal bleeding. The local hospitals got to know me all to well.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I work with several colleagues that have had pulmonary Embolisms whilst flying.

They still fly...but have to take the rat poison to do it. It seems once you have had a pulmonary embolism, the risk never goes away and you have to take precautions.

But they seem to do just fine.

Cookie

Reaction score
...and at least three heart attacks.

Can we just hold on here a minute, pleeeeeeeease. Is anyone that posts on this forum in good health?

If so, please raise your hand.

So far, it looks like just Terry and only because someone has to dress up and play doctor.

I have minor chest aches and pains a lot, just like your arms and legs might feel after a hard day's work. I do not know if this is normal. When should someone worry? I do get a lot of anxiety.

Funnily enough remodeling work is one of the few things that relieve my anxiety.

I am cool as a cucumber laying pipe. When I am wiring I do not have a care in the world.

I would bet that is normal, but I am not a doctor like Terry. :) I think, any pain should be checked out if you are concerned. But, more so, what you might want to do, is to have that annual check up, Ian, some people go 2 times a year, have a blood test ( so much is shown by a simple blood test nowdays) whatever, the doctor feels is right for you. This way, it soothes that concern and that is great! That is what you want to do. So, if you get a pain, you know it is okay, nothing building up in the arteries to make you worry, you will know it is from working and that is it. Take advantage too, of the freebee stuff. When they come around in the supermarkets or pharmacies, or mobiles and offer to do a testing or something at a nomimal cost.

If doing remodeling relieves the anxiety, it is working with your hands that is doing the trick. It is interesting that you said, your dad was a plumber and you love to plumb, it is something familiar to you. Plus, you might like doing something with your hands, but also, like to see an end result which takes thinking, and planning, yet probably, not like what you do for a living. So it separates work and play. Is your job very stressful?

I bet you would be a sure bet for other things working with your hands. I paint or I write. I am the same way, if I paint a sunset or a winter scene or a child's face I am so relaxed I probably don't have a pulse. :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh the irony of a guy that calls him self a sewer ratz taking rat poison to stay alive was not lost on me.I just hope i do not have to go back on it. While taking the stuff any small bump can lead to internal bleeding. The local hospitals got to know me all to well.

Read up on the diet you will find on the American Heart Asso. website. I am telling you, that is a wonderful site. It is loaded with things everyone should know.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I am going to brag here for alittle bit, but only because I am so proud of these programs. In the schools coming this fall, you will see little cans which will be collecting pennies...

1. Pennies for patients
2. Pennies for pasta
3. Hop for Lymphoma.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Diet. Things like Kale, loaded with Vitamin K. But, honestly, even something as simple as this check with your doctor first because this will thin your blood. I believe everything in moderation. I think people can do whatever they want to do, if done in moderation. People get into trouble when it is excessive.

Read up on the diet you will find on the American Heart Asso. website. I am telling you, that is a wonderful site. It is loaded with things everyone should know.

Vitamin K is what helps clotting, its what the liver needs to make the protein to help with the clotting. If my INR levels clotting factor was off due to the Warfarin they give me Vitamin K to counter it and lower the INR back to where it belongs. So I have to watch how much vitamin K I take in, well I had to back when I was on the thinners.

Warfarin didn't really "thin" the blood it changed the protein that is needed to form the clot. INR is clotting factor normal people that or not on Warfarin have a clotting factor of 1.0 to be therapeutic they wanted a INR reading of 2.0 to 3.0 any thing above 3.0 was bad. A 4.0 INR meant the slightest hit I would bruise real fast and and bleed internally easily. 5.0 INR and higher blood vessels in the brain can easily burst open. The scary part of Warfarin is people may keep an INR of 2.0 the whole time and still have internal bleeding happen for no reason. Most doctors really do not like having their patents on this stuff.

Cookie

Reaction score
I was reading an article a friend sent me at the same time, on absettoes in cigerettes, and I was thinking, wow, fireproof lungs. I cannot multi task, or walk and chew gum at the same time.

Cookie

Reaction score
It was Red's fault. :) I was reading a very good article he had written. I told him, he should post it here, it is that good. Facts I never knew, pretty good stuff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks