Bathroom DWV review

Users who are viewing this thread

groggu

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, trying to build my know-how so I can tackle the needed bathroom remodels in our 1870's farmhouse. The plumbing here is all afterthought (the original outhouse is still outback ;-) and has been put in by various farmers though the ages. When I took down the plaster in the lower bath, I found newspapers from 1949 - so I think it's been a while since this bathroom was updated.

There are only 2 bathrooms in the house, one over the other. I'm remodeling the lower bathroom first and will get to the upper one next year. I don't want to have to rip the walls out of the lower bath after I finish it, so I'm planning the layout of the upper bath and roughing in DWV for the new toilet location, even though it won't be used yet.

From what I've read in local codes and on this forum, I've been able to draw up my plan for the DWV (see below)
BathroomDWV_1.png

The big change upstairs is that the toilet is moving and while I might be able to coax the waste line over to the new position, I'd rather just replumb it in it's proper location.

The part of the layout that I'm having the most trouble understanding is the venting. Currently, both toilets are vented using the main stack - OK then, but not now. Let me know if you see any problems with this design. I know that the current connection for the upstairs toilet could be a problem because the vent runs horizontal for about 3 feet there. I'll be connecting so the vent goes up from where the toilet line joins the stack, but I'm not sure what fittings there are to make this work.

Thanks for comments,

Greg

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Obviously it's a basic routing schematic that you have, it leaves a lot open to whether proper fittings used and elevations maintained. The biggest issue I see is where you're tying the second floor vents into your main waste/vent stack. That connection needs to happen about 42" above the second floor. You could tie these together on the first floor and take a single vent up but that will depend on structure. You'll need a vent in between the tub and current toilet (if they happen at the same time, else you'll need a vent for the tub anyway).

Attachments

• BathroomDWV_1-1.PNG
    BathroomDWV_1-1.PNG
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,419

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

Unless you can actually see your piping and drew it the way it is installed, you have made some assumptions which are probably incorrect. Tying the vents into the main stack below the upper toilet was NEVER correct, so either they do NOT connect there, or someone added the upper toilet without correcting the downstairs piping. As for the piping, a schematic is a concept, but the actual piping could be completely different depending on structural interference and other considerations.

groggu

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful input. Sorry I don't have a better means of drawing the layout - my hand drawn stuff would be even worse, so I appreciate your being able to see beyond that limitation. I know this is just a "logical" layout of the DWV. Just looking for suggestions to get it close to correct before going to the inspector.

@FloridaOrange Thanks - 2 Q's
1) So the main stack can't serve as the vent for the upper bath/wc group? That's OK, I can vent it, I just thought it was close enough to the main stack to use that as the vent.

2) The upper bath vents "connection needs to happen about 42" above the second floor". I thought they just had to be above the ceiling. Is 42" code or standard practice? Just need to know because there's not a lot of room in the attic.

@hg In my drawing (the first one) the vents for the lower bath are tied into the stack above the second floor toilet and are marked as dry vents. Currently in the house, the fixtures on both floors just use the stack for venting, so that's one of the things I'm trying to fix.

Thanks all,

Greg

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
@FloridaOrange Thanks - 2 Q's
1) So the main stack can't serve as the vent for the upper bath/wc group? That's OK, I can vent it, I just thought it was close enough to the main stack to use that as the vent.

2) The upper bath vents "connection needs to happen about 42" above the second floor". I thought they just had to be above the ceiling. Is 42" code or standard practice? Just need to know because there's not a lot of room in the attic.

1. Stack vented fixtures need to tie individually to the stack.
2. Horizontal vents in most cases need to run min. 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixtures, this is usually 42"

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nomination: Most confusing thread of the week :D

The main stack, the one that runs down to the building drain. You can tie other vents into it, 6" above the flood level of the highest fixture served.

Individual vents need to rise vertical to a point 6" above the flood level of the highest fixture served before they can be run horizontally.

groggu

Reaction score
I started out saying that I was not clear on venting :rolleyes:... now I think I'm starting to get it.

In English - "All of the vents from the upper and lower baths need to individually enter the stack 6" above the waterline highest fixture on the second floor."

I misread FloridaOrange's drawing and thought he was suggesting to tie into the stack below the 2nd floor toilet, which was confusing. I see now that he means to go up to the 2nd floor before entering the stack.

I'm going to start over and see if I can get the bathroom groups to work together a little more cleanly.

Thanks

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
not quite, they can all tie into a header that ties into the stack also. It all depends on what is the most advantageous.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

You may be making this more complicated than necessary. The fixtures CAN use the main vent if the connect to it directly. Every fixture needs a vent, but not every one needs its OWN vent, the vents can be shared.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks