connecting new yard line

Users who are viewing this thread

dedratermi

Reaction score
I have lurked here for a long time but this is my first post. My yard line (between water meter and house) busted so I rented a power trencher and laid a new one. The water is back on again, but I have not yet filled in the trench. I chose 1" PEX for the new line, 85 feet. The water meter output is 3/4" female threads. To attach the PEX to the water meter, I soldered a 3/4" male thread fitting to a short run of 3/4" copper pipe, then a Gatorbite from the 3/4" copper to the 1" PEX. It is working fine, no leaks, but I am wondering if I should bury this as-is or do something else (and if so, what)? Looking for opinions - thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Bury it, but make sure you remove an rocks from the soil around the pipe itself. Did you use 1" PEX because you saw that it had about the same opening as your 3/4" copper?

dedratermi

Reaction score
I used 1" PEX because that's what my neighbors plumber used when his line busted and that's what my town's inspector recommended also. It was also recommended by the plumbing supply shop. I haven't looked at copper prices recently but didn't think I could afford 85' of copper tubing. What would you have used and why?

I will definitely remove the rocks before burying. But my main question is about burying the gatorbite, is that OK? Thanks!

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
But my main question is about burying the gatorbite, is that OK? Thanks!

That would be my concern too.

You know, given some of the failures that I've read about regarding PEX, I would put the PEX in some 2" PVC (pipe or conduit) so that I can easily pull a new piece in if or when it fails. Might save you some trenching later.

Of course sealing between the 2" pipe/conduit and the PEX could become an issue because any leak would potentially pressurize the 2" pipe/conduit and possibly allow water in to your home.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks