bathroom cast iron radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

chickenbrown

Reaction score
I am looking to add a small cast iron wall radiator in my 10 foot by 5 foot bathroom because my wife says its cold after coming out of the shower in winter. I was thinking to just add it into the closest zone off my hot water boiler but since the t-stat is in the bedroom i think it would be too hot since the bedroom has a few windows and the bath does not. The bedroom is very close but when the doors are closed the T-stat will not regulate the bath properly.

Can i just tap into the end of this zone with a vanturi or scooped tee just to get some flow through this new added rad or can i go even a step further and put a t-stat on the scooped tee to allow heat when the bath needs? Does this fitting exist? a tee that regulates flow off and existing zone when the bath needs heat.

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the thermostat for the bedroom has its own circulator, then you may have problems with whatever you do in the bathroom. If it does not, and the thermostat opens and closes a valve, then it's no big deal, depending on where that valve is. You can get a mechanical thermostatic valve for the inlet of the radiator that should allow you to set the room temperature, but it won't do much if the circulator isn't on. Would need more info on how things are set up and controlled.

chickenbrown

Reaction score
If the thermostat for the bedroom has its own circulator, then you may have problems with whatever you do in the bathroom. If it does not, and the thermostat opens and closes a valve, then it's no big deal, depending on where that valve is. You can get a mechanical thermostatic valve for the inlet of the radiator that should allow you to set the room temperature, but it won't do much if the circulator isn't on. Would need more info on how things are set up and controlled.

Thanks Jim, Its a three zone one circulator hot water boiler. The bedroom zone is controlled by a zone valve. The loop feeds the one cast iron radiator in the bedroom then feeds a foyer cast iron radiator then just back to the boiler. I wanted to add a small rad. in the bath but was unsure of how to do it>

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might be able to get rid of that zone valve, and install thermostatic valves at each radiator. See what the pros have to say. You might luck out and get enough heat in the bathroom just when the bedroom thermostat calls for heat, but maybe not. One thing to also consider is a radiator designed as a towel heater. Wrapping a nice warm towel around you when you get out is a pleasant luxury.

I put a Mr Steam electric towel warmer in my bathroom, but they, and others have some designed for hookup to your hot water system as well.

When it comes time for remodeling, electric heat mats underneath tile in the bathroom is another nice feature. While it may not warm the room that much, it certainly makes the floor warm. You may also be able to run radiant tubing underneath the floor. This would require a tempering/mixing valve to lower the water temperature, or it would get too hot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks