split line of 2" copper water line from city

Users who are viewing this thread

novice-man

Reaction score
Like below drawing, city water flows in 2†copper pipe with 45psi, and then it splits into another 2†line ( (a) line ) and continue to run (b) line.
There is 2†Ball Valve in the middle of (A) line.

What happens if the ball valve in (A) line closed half(50%)?
1) (B) line gets any benefit? More pressure? Or more flow?
Or,
2) (B) line’s water volume and pressure remains the same?

Thanks much,

--Novice-man

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 329

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It all depends on flow. If the flow in A was such that the dynamic pressure at the split point was being dropped by flow in the main supply, the reducing the flow to A would cause the dynamic pressure at the split point to be higher, so B would flow more.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

That is like asking, "How high is up?" Your answer depends on the dynamics of the system, how much water is available, how much is being used at both A & B when the valve is open, if A is using its maximum amount when the valve is open and if more is needed at B, and if the pipe to B is able to carry more volume. And, a ball valve should not be adjusted to anything other than full open or fully closed to avoid destructive turbulence.

novice-man

Reaction score
That is like asking, "How high is up?" Your answer depends on the dynamics of the system, how much water is available, how much is being used at both A & B when the valve is open, if A is using its maximum amount when the valve is open and if more is needed at B, and if the pipe to B is able to carry more volume. And, a ball valve should not be adjusted to anything other than full open or fully closed to avoid destructive turbulence.

what is "destructive turbulence"?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Copper pipe split

You know like in the "GRAND CANYON " !

When you have a ball valve in less then fully open or closed

it disturbs the water steam and causes erosion to the inside the pipes and

fittings ! !

novice-man

Reaction score
You know like in the "GRAND CANYON " !

When you have a ball valve in less then fully open or closed

it disturbs the water steam and causes erosion to the inside the pipes and

fittings ! !

just erosion?
if 45 degree close, is this mean 50% close, right?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A ball valve should be either open or closed...anything in between can cause the pipes to literally wear out from the inside.

novice-man

Reaction score
no, gate valves also should be all open or all closed

1) how long can I use copper pipe before it destruct and erode make a hole or leak? ( if I use a ball-valve)

2) what kind of valve can I use to close 50%?

Thanks,

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A globe valve. Flow is redirected from a chamber in the lower part of the valve, up and through the seat assembly and finally out the top chamber. That action keeps the flow from constantly wearing against one portion of the valve or pipe.

www.nibco.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

quote; just erosion?

If I could understand what you are asking, I might be able to answer the question.
progress.gif

novice-man

Reaction score
quote; just erosion?

If I could understand what you are asking, I might be able to answer the question.
progress.gif

Let me ask again...

1) ball valve causes only "erosion" issue? how bad it is? and how long can the pipe hold the erosion before corrupt? and how many years can I use the pipe? and how will happens eventually, e.g. hole? or leaking?

2) IF TURN HALF(IOW, MIDDLE BETWEEN 'FULL OPEN' AND 'FULL CLOSE', LIKE ABOVE DRAWING), IT CLOSES 50% OF WATER FLOW, RIGHT?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how high the flow rate is through the system. It's sort of like asking how high is up...depends on your reference point. As noted, neither a gate valve nor a ball valve are designed or intended to throttle flow - it's either all or nothing.

Use the right tool for the job..it's like using pliers verses a properly sized wrench...it depends on whether you'll ruin it or not, and if you do it often enough, you certainly will.

How wet do you get when you put your finger over the end of a hose? Partially closing a gate valve or ball valve increases the flow rate and momentarily the pressure.

novice-man

Reaction score
It depends on how high the flow rate is through the system. It's sort of like asking how high is up...depends on your reference point. As noted, neither a gate valve nor a ball valve are designed or intended to throttle flow - it's either all or nothing.

Use the right tool for the job..it's like using pliers verses a properly sized wrench...it depends on whether you'll ruin it or not, and if you do it often enough, you certainly will.

How wet do you get when you put your finger over the end of a hose? Partially closing a gate valve or ball valve increases the flow rate and momentarily the pressure.

Partially closing a gate valve or ball valve increases the flow rate and momentarily the pressure ==> where? line (A) or (B)?

Msgale

Reaction score
Pressure in the pipe is governed by pressure of the supply, and the rate of flow thru the pipes.

When no water is in use, pressure is same throughout the entire system, turning valves has no effect.

At very low flow rate, valves have minimum effect.
For two inch pipes in a typical residence, you are very unlikely to have enough flow that a partially closed valve will make any difference at all.

At high flow rates, partially closing valve at a will yield a faster flow thru B

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks