Clicking yesterday, today nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon1

Reaction score
Please help! yesterday I was watering out by the well and everything was working fine, except I could here it clicking every minute or so. This morning I have no water. My voltage tester shows power on all post of the grey switch, but I don't here any clicking or anything. It is a 1.5 horse sub pump with a Frankiln sticker on the box. What can I try next?

Jon1

Reaction score
Thank You, Thank You! I had not seen that red button before. I had to push it hard but the pump started right up. Water seems to working fine now. Does this mean my pump is wearing out?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Having to push a reset button says there was an electrical problem of some kind. I've never seen a control box with a reset button... But then most folks where I'm from use 2 wire pumps.

I'd check out the pump electrically to make sure there isn't something wrong that you could catch before the reset button doesn't 'fix' a no water problem in the future. I'd call it preventative maintenance, or good planning.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The clicking you are hearing is the pump cycling on and off. This is probably what caused the overload to trip and will also is what usually destroys pumps. A Cycle Stop Valve will stop the pump from cycling and make you pump system last much longer.

Jon1

Reaction score
Will the cycle valve work with my tank, or do I need a smaller tank? Mine says wx251 and is about 4' tall.

Wondering

Reaction score
Have you checked your air charge in your tank? It could also be low and cause increased starts/stops.

Jon1

Reaction score
The pump comes on at 40 and off at 62. There was still 34 air in the tank when the water was out. Could this be the reason the pump is clicking every 40 to 50 seconds when I am running water?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
You have to measure the air pressure with no water in the tank. If you measure it without shutting off the pump and depressurizing the system, you measure water pressure. So your water pressure gauge should read the same pressure as the air pressure gauge until you drain the tank; then you measure only air pressure.

You should have 39-38 psi air pressure with no water in the tank.

Jon1

Reaction score
I did check the tank air when the pump was off and I had no water coming out. It showed 34. Will adding air to 39-38 make it quit clicking so much?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Adding 4 or 5 PSI more air is not going to make much difference. The clicking is caused by your pump producing more water than you are using. If you turn on enough faucets, the clicking will stop because the pump will run continuously. You either have to use this much water EVERY TIME you run water or, use a Cycle Stop Valve. The CSV will make the pump produce only the amount you are using, so the cycling or "clicking" will stop and the pump will last much longer.

Attachments

• CSV1ZUL web.jpg
    CSV1ZUL web.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 273

Jon1

Reaction score
I have been reading about the Cycle Valve. Which one would be the best for my pump?

Jon1

Reaction score
Adding 5 pounds of air didn't seem to make any difference in the clicking. Will the CSV1W be as good as the CSV1Z?

lzenglish

Reaction score
Hello, It sounds to me the clicking, or chattering noise you hear are a dirty set of contacts in your starting relay. This has happened to me, and the culpert was short cycling.

Good Luck

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
But if the points don't close, the pump doesn't run, or run on 230v, so that doesn't cause short cycling of a pump.

Much more likely is that the air pressure in the tank is way low or the bladder is broken or there's not enough air in a galvanized no bladder type tank. Or the pump is too large for the system. The tank air pressure should be checked with no water in the tank.

lzenglish

Reaction score
Hello, I was referring to the Potential starting Relay, I think you are refering to the pressure switch, correct? The potential relay is inside the pump control box, next to the capacitors, and overloads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks