wiring in bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

web_surfer

Reaction score
Have quick question on wiring a new bathroom.

We are putting a light in the tub/shower area. The light is sealed against moisture. When the wire was run, UF wire was used since we considered this a damp location due to the high humidity that is typically in bathrooms, especially the tub/shower enclosure.

Anyhow, the city electrical inspector came through and said NMB would have been OK since light was sealed against moisture and wire would not actually be in damp location. Is this accurate?

Or maybe since the bathroom is gutted he did not understand exactly what was being done.

I do have a licensed electrician assisting with the project - installed new 200A panel, tells me where to run wire & i do it, then he connects to panel, etc. He did not say anything about the UF vs NMB being used but, have not talked to him since inspection.

Thanks,
Matt

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
The inspector is correct. Offhand I can't think of a reason to run UF inside a house.

-rick

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Not to sound like a jerk, but why would anyone ever consider inside a wall space a damp location???? Same goes for worrying about wires and pipes in the same stud space.

I think MOLD would be the real issue in that case, no? :rolleyes:

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Anyhow, the city electrical inspector came through and said NMB would have been OK since light was sealed against moisture and wire would not actually be in damp location. Is this accurate?
Thanks,
Matt

The inspector is absoutely correct. Any wiring in a wall is not a wet or damp location. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks