Nitrate (as N): <0.1 mg/L
Nitrate (as N): < 0.3 mg/L
Sulfate: 0.7 mg/L

Hardness: 28.8 mg/L
Sodium: 76.0 mg/L
Iron: 0.15 mg/L

Alkalinity: 206 mg/L

Does everything look ok???

The state called and said there was e Coli found in the well. They said that this is normal in new wells. We contacted the well driller. He came back and shocked the well again. We sent another test to the state.....haven't got the new test results back yet.
-- Is it normal for e Coli to show up in a new well?
-- Is there anything I can do to prevent it from coming back?

Thanks.
mm

Reaction score
any comments on the water test results??

Are there any levels that need attention?
does the hardness level require a softener?

thanks.
mm

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Not where I'm from. But I can't say in your area.
Here is something concerning FL, it doesn't mention Coliform bacteria but it shows the high potential for groundwater contamination from it and other things.

Agrichemicals threaten FL aquifers: USGS study
<< BACK
Tuesday, July 21, 2009

RESTON, VA — The combined effects of pesticide compounds and elevated nitrate levels in lakes in central Florida’s Lake Wales Ridge region may threaten drinking water sources and aquatic life, US Geological Survey scientists have reported in a first-of-its kind study.

The study, Water Quality and Evaluation of Pesticides in Lakes in the Ridge Citrus Region of Central Florida, is the first to evaluate the occurrence of pesticides in lakes on the Ridge, a major citrus-producing area where pesticides are applied multiple times per year. The report also represents one of the first monitoring efforts nationally to focus on regional-scale assessment of current-use pesticides in small- to moderate-sized lakes (5 acres to 393 acres). Anne F. Choquette and Sharon E. Kroening authored the study in cooperation with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the Southwest Florida Water Management District.

The authors said underground drinking water sources in the region are vulnerable to contamination due to a wet climate, soils lacking in materials to filter or break down substances, and porous drinking water aquifers.

The importance of continued early detection, monitoring, and understanding of the chemicals and their impacts was stressed in the study. According to the authors, local-scale groundwater flow-path studies “could provide information on the processes and hydrogeologic factors controlling the transport and fate of pesticides in the lakes and in adjacent aquifers, and help to determine the influence of the lakes on regional water quality in this dynamic, closely linked groundwater/surface water system.â€

To this end, the USGS is helping state agencies develop a sampling network to detect contaminants as they enter the aquifers.

To access the report, click here.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Your report should asterik levels that are over the upper limit. Be aware that it is not unusual for a new well to change. I suggest you do a complete retest (chemistry and bacteria and don't forget radon) in 3-6 months

Reaction score
Your report should asterik levels that are over the upper limit. Be aware that it is not unusual for a new well to change. I suggest you do a complete retest (chemistry and bacteria and don't forget radon) in 3-6 months

Yup.....The well was deemed "conforming" by the state tests....all the levels were within the ranges specified on the results sheet. I wanted to post it here and have the pros here just take a quick look to see if they saw it different.

Although, there were a few levels (hardness, alkalinity, and sodium) that the state does not put a range for.
The level for hardness is 28.8 mg/L (which I think is about 1.7 gpg).....I can't imagine I would need a softener for this level. Right?
And I assume alkalinity at 206 mg/L is ok, right?

Good idea.....We will do a retest in a few months to see if anything has changed......especially with the e coli issue.

Thanks.

Reaction score
You say he shocked the well again? Did he use liquid bleach? How much? How long did it sit in the well? Is the area heavily populated? Private septic systems? Leach fields?

Southern Delaware and eastern Maryland have waters typical of yours. There is a lot of granite in the ground so that is why your hardness is low. Your well is deep so your pH is not acidic

I have heard about well drillers' bits being contaminated and actually introducing contaminants to the new well.

Your overall water quality is pretty good. An RO may be desired to remove that sodium. Did you get a TDS test done? You may eventually get some iron stains, not severe, but don't let water drip anywhere like tubes or sinks. Occasionally, a little Iron Magic in the toilet tank will rid any stains there.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Andy --

Unfortunately, I don't have answers to all of your questions......it is actually my mother's well, and I wasn't there when it was drilled or shocked.

As far as the sodium level and an RO......is the level so high to be "unhealthy?" I assume not, since the state test did not indicate anything like that. I assume the RO would merely be for improving the taste/flavor, right?

TDS was not one the tests the state does. Do you suggest I have that test done? What exactly is Total Dissolved Solids?

Thanks.
mike

Mariner

Reaction score
Mike,

One point worth mentioning is that the RO units use a lot of water - especially
during membrane cleaning. If your mother is on a septic system then the RO couild prove to be problematic - depending on the septic system type.
Just a thought as most people do not realize the total water consumption of a RO unit.

mariner

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied......

I think I will just retest the water in a few months. Unless something changes drastically, I dont think I will do anything to "condition" her water.
It seems good enough raw.

By the way, she already has an in-line filter housing (for the skinny 1 inch filters).
Is there any benefit to using those filters??
(thery're easy to get them from Home Depot/Lowes).

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I also question why there is a "concern" about RO wastewater. Sure it may take 3-4 gallons of water to make one, but the average person would probably only drink 3 qts a day ... if this is going to create a septic issue then so will taking a shower or flushing the commode a few times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks