Correct screw orientation ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Agu

Reaction score
Replaced all the outlets and switches in my house with the help of an electrician friend. Could have done it myself but with an older home I wanted to have him confirm everything was done right and up to code. He did find and correct some questionable wiring, for which at some time he'll call in the favor. In the future he'll have me helping him on some really miserable job and I'll have to smile and pretend I'm enjoying myself. ;)

After we finished I replaced all the switch plates with new plates.

After a few weeks he came by and informed me all my plates were installed wrong. All the screw slots holding the plates were up and down (perpendicular to the floor). He informed me all screw slots should be horizontal (parallel to the floor).

So who's right and why?

The answer that we're both anal retentive with compulsive personalities is not correct btw .

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
They MUST be on a 45 degree angle. This is extremely important. I have seen whole houses fail inspection because of it.

This can be found in the district code addendum XR7-4Jc.

Please don't make this mistake again. ;)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It has to do with the way that electromagnetic flux lines "leak" off the head of the screw. If you put the screws in wrong, it will cause interference on TV's and computers.

Agu

Reaction score
It has to do with the way that electromagnetic flux lines "leak" off the head of the screw. If you put the screws in wrong, it will cause interference on TV's and computers.

Does that have anything to do with the belief that loose electrons will collect in a horizontal screw slot ?

;)

Agu

Reaction score
BTW, I understand painters have their own rules. Their technique is to tighten the screw until the plate cracks, back off a half turn, and blame the electrician.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I should think you would want to verse yourself in the various aspects of
Screw Theory by Sir Robert Stawell Ball...

Screw Theory...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_theory

Sir Robert Stawell Ball...
Sir_Robert_Ball00.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
amen

quote; Screw Theory...

Isn't that the motto of most handymen? As for the original question. Throw the screws away and glue the plates to the wall. The screw holes will allow air circulation to prevent heat buildup in the boxes. By the way, did you check the screw orientation on the ones holding the wires?

Last edited:

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Screws always up and down!
This allows the dust to fall from the screw to the floor where the cats have something to play with!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screws

Wrong! If the slot is up and down, the dust does not accumulate. Horizontal it will build up until it gets heavy enough to collapse, and then the cats will have a large ball to play with. Why are you still using slotted screws? Phillips will eliminate the uncertainty.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No one covered the summer to winter rotation requirements.

I always do mine late spring and late fall when I change the air in my tires. Makes it easy to remember.

Last edited:

Jeff1

Reaction score
What about the Northern vs Southern Hemisphere adjustments for vortex and magnetic differentiation?

Agu

Reaction score
No one covered the summer to winter rotation requirements.

I live in SW Florida, do those requirements also apply in subtropical climates? I thought that only applied in climates where the cold caused shrinkage?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks