Embarrassed and don't want to give this Wellworth toilet a chance

Users who are viewing this thread

carnation

Reaction score
I had an elongated Kohler Wellington installed nearly three weeks ago. It clogged after only about a week and a half. Plunging couldn't unclog it, so the plumbing place I bought it from unclogged it for free.

I am upset about this. I hate fighting with a toilet and feel scared to use it for what it was designed for. I try to go at work or run to a public place. This is ridiculous and I won't stand for it.

What embarrasses me is that I want to get rid of it and replace it with maybe a Toto Drake. I don't even want to give the Kohler a chance because, as you know, clogs come at the most inopportune times like evenings, weekends, and holidays. Of course I'm not rich, but the main feature I'm looking for is the closest thing there is to uncloggability. I thought I'd found that in the elongated Kohler Wellington, but from reading certain things I'm afraid maybe I haven't.

I'm wondering if I work with a new plumbing outfit, if they can maybe sell the Kohler since it's so new and give me a discount or something. It's embarrassing to even ask such a question. I live alone and am not getting any younger, though, and don't want to spend money on plumber visits if I can't unclog a toilet.

I'm willing to eat the money lost on this if I can get a toilet I won't have to fear will clog a lot. It's just embarrassing to admit to a plumber what I consider to be a mistake by purchasing the Kohler and I could use some advice on how to word things correctly without looking like a total fool.

I had toilet frustration before I got the new elongated Kohler, so this dates back a while. I just never want to clean up another overflow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are several models of the Wellworth.
Without seeing a picture of yours, it would be hard to comment.
The older ones with the 2" flush valve were never very good.
They are supposed to be coming out with a large canister flush valve that works better.
I still don't care for the trapway on those.

Update 6/9/2014
The new Wellworth has been improved and works much better.

With new 1.6 gallon toilets, it's rare that it overflows with a plug, unless it's flushed twice.

korky_plunger.jpg

If plunging doesn't clear it, you may want to invest in a "closet auger"
Then you can do your own repairs.

The trapway on the Drake is a better design, but nothing is absolute "no clog".
All things are possible.

auger_01.jpg

kohler_canister.jpg

Link about the chain tangling on the new canister flush valve

Last edited:

bradah

Reaction score
my 2 cents

Carnation,

I installed a Toto Drake (1.28 gallon) about 3 months ago......and another downstairs just last week.....

There are 7 people in my household and we have yet to experience even one clog. To top it off, there is no chance of an overflowing bowl if it ever does clog up.

3 months isn't a long span of time, but having 7 might effectively extend that to 6 months :).

My point is that I really think you'll love the Drake and be pleased with its performance......on holidays too. :)

carnation

Reaction score
This Wellworth (I know I've referred to it sometimes as a Wellington--get confused) is a Class 5 system. I'm thinking of giving it three strikes before it's out (it's already had one strike).

I've armed myself to the teeth. Got two new, different-type toilet plungers and even found one new, never-used one out in the garage. In addition, I bought a home-use auger at Home Depot last night. I don't feel confident with using the auger. I tried one once and was unsuccessful. But maybe this time if I need to use one, victory will prevail. I've also done a lot of research on unclogging toilets and have found out about the dish soap/hot water trick and even using yeast/hot water to hopefully dissolve the clog. There may be hope yet.

If I do replace it with a Toto Drake, I think I'll have the plumbing outfit donate the Wellworth if possible to someone who really needs a new one or to a charity, since it's basically brand new.

Last edited:

carnation

Reaction score
So...would it be advisable for me to get the type of auger plumbers use (like in the picture above - around $45 or so, I think), or is the little homeowner's type I got for $8 okay? I read somewhere that a homeowner's auger was usually fine for a home toilet. I didn't spring for the big thingy because of a storage problem. I live in a rather small condo.

I like the picture. No toilet clog has a prayer against that guy and his weapon of mass destruction!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's another slant. Will you be less embarrassed if you Kohler clogs with guests in the home? Why would you want a toilet that needs a fancy tool to unclog it? Donate the Kohler to Habitat for Humanity, I understand they will take anything, then get a Toto.

carnation

Reaction score
Here's another slant. Will you be less embarrassed if you Kohler clogs with guests in the home? Why would you want a toilet that needs a fancy tool to unclog it? Donate the Kohler to Habitat for Humanity, I understand they will take anything, then get a Toto.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. We have a Habitat for Humanity nearby. I'm thinking of using an entirely new plumbing outfit than the one I bought the Kohler from, but in a way I'd like the place I bought it from to know of my dissatisfaction. They recommended it to me and had it in their own homes. Said it didn't clog very often. Of course, both vendors are members of the Better Business Bureau. I really didn't think I bought the Kohler naively (watched their videos, read reviews, etc.), but I wasn't aware of the part about the odd-shaped hole in the bowl and difficulty plunging it.

korky_plunger.jpg

Is there a specific model of the Drake that I should maybe consider? I live alone in a one-potty condo, so I need something that will be easy to plunge if necessary. That requires a round hole in the bowl, right? I'm also thinking of going to a round model. I wasn't that impressed with the elongated one.

Sure, it's an expensive lesson to learn. I think, however, it would pay for itself after only a few plumber visits. And I'm pretty sure they would be necessary. Ugh. I'm fortunate that I do have the money right now to pay for this mistake.

Any advice will be really helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Elongated bowls are male friendly when compared to the round bowl. Unless the users will be small in stature, I'd recommend the ADA height. Even for us "standard size" folks, sitting on a non ADA toilet seems like squatting in the woods. While any toilet can clog, a Toto is simple to plunge. I wouldn't worry too much. I had a Dartmouth (similar to a Drake) for over a year and a half and have never had a clog. Not implying that it can't happen, but it will be a rare occasion if it does.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Other than color, all of the Drakes perform about the same. Your choices are related to CEFIONTECT (a special glaze that helps keep things clean and makes cleanup easier), round or elongated, and normal or ADA height. The newest ones use 1.28g, the original one uses 1.6g. The only other option is an insulated tank. Well, you can get the flush lever on the right or left (related to ADA...it must be on the side towards the door opening). So, while it may seem like lots of choices...it isn't really. Not all choices are available in all colors.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My personal experience is will the 1.6 models, but reports that have been made on this forum indicate that the 1.28 do just fine. One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier answer is related to ADA height. The slight extra height makes for slightly better flushing. It's a gravity thing. The water in the tank of an ADA is a little bit higher so the water get a little more momentum when you flush. I don't think it's a huge difference, just a little more. The 1.28 tanks are becoming pretty standard now, and that is all the more reason why you should select a brand that has the design to work with that amount of water.

carnation

Reaction score
I'm almost ready to replace the Kohler with a Toto Drake. Read some reviews elsewhere that says they're hard to plunge (other reviews have said they're easy to plunge, who knows). Does anyone know whether a round unit would be easier to plunge than an elongated unit? Also, if I can't get a G-Max, is an E-Max advisable?

My number one concern: cloggability. I'm hoping to get something that doesn't clog very often. I'm also worried about the odd-shaped hole in the toilet. I'm reading horror stories of toilets with that type of hole being hard to plunge. The Kohler Wellworth I have has that weird-shaped hole. I was hoping changing to a Toto Drake would help as far as cloggability and ease of clearing blockages, but I'm beginning to wonder if they both have the same type of hole in them . . . :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you have a medical condition that produces exceptionally large and long hard stools, it's really hard to clog a Drake; really. If that's a problem, the Caroma is an alternative since it has a 3" drain line and those really big logs go through better. A plunger with a pull out funnel works on pretty much all of those toilets IF you know how to use it. The goal is to force the water back and forth, then one pull stroke. Do it right, and you'll clear nearly any toilet. By a Toto...you'll be happy. I have two, and put two in my mother's house, and you know I wouldn't do that if I'd had problems with my own.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All of the new toilets plunge the same way.
It's not a brand thing.

Plungers come with a pull out end made of rubber.
Leaving a little bit of water helps to seal it.

korky_plunger.jpg

Last edited:

carnation

Reaction score
I don't think I have a medical condition like you spoke of. Just a nervous nellie about this since I was so disappointed with the Kohler and my inability to plunge it. Admittedly, I was upset and didn't try too hard before I called the place I bought it from.

Has anyone ever tried this type of plunger? [h=1]Neiko Patented Heavy-Duty All-Angle Super-Power Plunger[/h]
In addition to this new type, I do have the type recommended by Terry and others. Bought the new one very recently.

The place I bought the Kohler from is willing to work with me. Said they could send it back to Kohler and get refunded for the price they paid. They'll pass that amount on to me in savings.

Think I'll take the plunge (pun intended) tomorrow and call to make arrangements for the installation of a Toto.

Believe it or not, I have successfully plunged many times in my life. Just with the water-hogging types, although I have successfully plunged a Kohler pressure-assisted type at work. I've also failed at plunging the work toilet. It was not a pretty sight.

It is truly a terrible thing to suffer from plunging paralysis. That helpless feeling, seeing that water rise and rise and rise . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to develop a totally new mind set. Toto toilets just don't clog. I've had my Dartmouth (similar to the Drake) over 1-1/2 year and it has not even come close to clogging. You might have an occasional streak, but a quick swipe with a brush takes care of that. I don't own a plunger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks