Washing Machine Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

MrBrown

Reaction score
Here is my situation. I have recently moved into an older home and have my washing machine in the basement. The current drain set up is out of the bottom of the washing machine into flex pipe that clamps onto galvanized pipe that goes up the wall and levels out about waist high. The galvanized pipe then dumps into the main drain stack. The reason the galvanized pipe is waist high is because the main drain exits the house just below waist high in the basement.

So far everything seems to be working fine, but I have concerns. Could this setup cause problems in the future. Do I need a lint trap on the drain somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You do not need a lint trap, I would hope that the machine waste dumps into a trap though. Washing machines typically pump "up", the washing machine box in my home is a little above waist high.

MrBrown

Reaction score
So am I to understand that some sort of Trap or P Trap is needed in the setup? There is some sort of contraption that has been installed inline, but identifiing it is above my pay grade.

3730234909_55004ff9cb_m.jpg

If the insert image feature worked for me, maybe someone can identify it for me.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
That's a cleanout. If your line were to get clogged it gives a plumber a place to snake it.
This is a p-trap. Typically you have a p-trap with a 2" pipe up to a washing machine reciever box for lack of a better term. I've seen plenty where there is just a trap and the washing machine line drains into it.

SC10_P_Trap.jpg

This is a typical installation with a washing machine box.
WashingMachine.bmp

MrBrown

Reaction score
And the drain hose from the washing machine does not have to be clamped onto the drain standpipe?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. Washer drain hoses are shapes to hook on the open end of the 2" standpipe and just hang there. There are not to be connected with a solid connection. All fixture in the home must have a trap to block sewer gas from entering the house, and all fixtures must be vented. You can see the P trap under every sink in the house. Dishwashers use the kitchen sink trap. The ones under tubs and showers often are not readily visible, but they are there. The toilet has its trap built in. Vents usually are not visible except in unfinished rooms. You obviously do not have much experience in these matters, and I would suggest you hire a plumber to analyze and make the necessary corrections to you drain system. Just because something seems to be working OK does not mean it is properly plumbed and safe to be using the way it is.

TedL

Reaction score
And the drain hose from the washing machine does not have to be clamped onto the drain standpipe?

From your description of your setup, it does need to be clamped because it's built as a pressurized connection (pressure supplied by washing machine pump). The previous occupant cobbed together a "solution" to tap directly into the vertical stack without benefit of a trap, and is totally wrong. I'm guessing that the only reason you're not getting sewer gas smell is that the water that remains in the bottom of the washer serves to block it.

Post pics to show the connection to the vertical. Include one where you step back to show the entire floor to ceiling.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have a serious problem. You apparently have a direct path for sewer gas into the washing machine, and even worse, it you ever have some kind of blockage on your main drain, you will wake up one morning to discover that your toilet has flushed into the load of whites that momma left in the washing machine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washer

That "device" is a check valve and without it, any sewer backup would flood your washing machine, and then the basement with sewer water. It is not a proper connection, but any "proper" connection would also be an overflow point in case of a sewer stoppage.

MrBrown

Reaction score
You obviously do not have much experience in these matters, and I would suggest you hire a plumber to analyze and make the necessary corrections to you drain system. Just because something seems to be working OK does not mean it is properly plumbed and safe to be using the way it is.

Just to be clear, I am well aware of what a p-trap is and where they are located. My whole point of asking my initial question is that I know that this connection is wrong and my experience is limited. My main issue is that the washing machine drain is lower than where the main drain leaves the basement wall out to the road I have some gravitation issues. The washing machine drain is going up about 3 feet to connect to the main drain leading out of the house. In this situation how would one make this connection correct?

-Gary, if I find I cannot get a correct answer I suppose I will then pay the $200 to get someone to give me some sort of answer. Isn't that the point of this forum to get understanding and answers? In the future please try to be a bit more polite.

Last edited:

MrBrown

Reaction score
3759636914_90c334fe70.jpg

The hose runs out of the washing machine along the floor and up the wall at this point.

3758840175_acdfe9ca40.jpg

It runs along the wall at about a chest high level and connects into the main stack just above where the main drain exits the house.

I hope these pictures help to explain my dilemma.

MrBrown

Reaction score
Well what the laundry tray drains into is a bit of a question and an entirely different issue. We believe it drains into the sump drain, but that is not clear.

TedL

Reaction score
Well what the laundry tray drains into is a bit of a question and an entirely different issue. We believe it drains into the sump drain, but that is not clear.

If it connected properly to the sanitary system, it would be a solution to the clothes washer problem.

MrBrown

Reaction score
If it connected properly to the sanitary system, it would be a solution to the clothes washer problem.

You're right about that being a solution, but from the evidence, I have to assume at this point that it is not.

I suppose one solution could be that I run the Drain Standpipe up the wall to give me enough gravity to make it all work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks