Pulling my hair out

Users who are viewing this thread

kcwright1979

Reaction score
need help with deep well pump

Last july I had my well replaced everything but the tank and now almost 1 year to the day it stoped working but the breaker did not trip... I have replaced the pressure switch and the control box to no reslove so I ran a ohm test on the motor and everything is within normal range i would hate to pull the pump because it is 300 ft deep to find out it was something else got any ideas? :confused::confused::confused::mad:

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Good evening,

Welcome to the forum, while I don't have any ideas I would imagine not many other people would have many ideas either. You seem to have covered all the bases and since, you know what the range should be your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Again, welcome to the forum,

Cass

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Last july I had my well replaced everything but the tank and now almost 1 year to the day it stoped working but the breaker did not trip... I have replaced the pressure switch and the control box to no reslove so I ran a ohm test on the motor and everything is within normal range i would hate to pull the pump because it is 300 ft deep to find out it was something else got any ideas? :confused::confused::confused::mad:

Have you checked the voltage at the pressure switch?
(220v)not 110 on each side but 220 while testing both incoming lines at the same time... Sometimes ants or maybe a spider fell in between the points, and it is not making contact.( the power not going to the control box)

Just a thought.

Being only one year old, that is kinda young to breaking down already.

Travis

Cookie

Reaction score
Travis,

Isn't their a warranty for this? Only one year old, I would think, so.

kcwright1979

Reaction score
more info

it is a submersable pump no blown breakers or fuses got power to the control box and in the wires leading down to the pump but there is no drain or startup just dead

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
Sometimes, If it was put in by a well guy, there should be.
Most are only 1 year, but some offer longer. If the pump was put in by the homeowner, the pump may be in warranty, but it has to be brought back to where it was bought.
That would be something to look at by the homeowner.

Travis

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
it is a submersable pump no blown breakers or fuses got power to the control box and in the wires leading down to the pump but there is no drain or startup just dead

Are you using a volt meter or one of those lights?
If you are using a meter, check the leads for a ground.
Disconnect the three wires going to the pump from the box.
If any one of the leads go to ground, the pump is bad or there is a burned wire.

Travis

Cookie

Reaction score
The first thing I would had done would had been to call the company who put it in. Second thing, if I had put it in, which I redid the electrical to my motor an old Myers, dated something like 1830 or around there, so mine is old, but; being hers or his, sounds new, I would look to see if the store would honor taking it back as a return.

I know, HD is pretty good about doing that. I returned a pump for a pond once, alittle over a year old.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
KC, if the ohms check out the motor windings, did you check all wires for a short or short to ground?

Did you do that with the wires disconnected from the control box or out at the well?

Are you positive, and have you actually checked that you wired the new box correctly?

I wouldn't take a pump back anywhere until I knew for sure what was wrong with it. It may not be the pump, the same way it wasn't the box or switch you have replaced for nothing. It could be the cable or the shrink wrap connections on the motor pigtails. It could be the wire nut connections at the well.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know how much you know about using a volt/ohm meter. But the biggest mistake I know people to make is checking both legs to ground and getting 115 volts on each one. This is not an indication that you have 230 volts. Be sure to measure across both legs. This is where you want to read the 230 volts. If not, you have an electrical open circuit somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks