Why are these voltage readings normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

scubar

Reaction score
I've removed a Lutron dimmer switch with the goal of installing a regular light switch. There are two romex sets of wires coming into the box. One set reads a normal 118VAC between black and white. But the other set reads nothing between the black and white wires but on that set, there is 118 VAC between the black wire and ground AND between the white wire and ground.

Why do the readings on the second romex set make sense? Where would they be getting power from? The power goes away from all of the wires when the breaker is opened.

Appreciate your explaination on these readings.

Ron

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
But the other set reads nothing between the black and white wires but on that set, there is 118 VAC between the black wire and ground AND between the white wire and ground.
The black and white are connected together (maybe by an incand. lamp filament)?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do the readings on the second romex set make sense?

Who said they did? Cheap digital DMMs are notorious for picking up stray voltages.

Where would they be getting power from?
Its induced voltage it picks up off other wires it runs next to in the ceiling/ wall/etc.

The power goes away from all of the wires when the breaker is opened.
Because you shut off the wire inducing the voltage.

Ok now before you go blowing your fingers off check if I'm right. Connect a test light between the ground and the white wire in the second set. Did it light up? If yes then I'm wrong and something else is going on. Otherwise its safe to say that the first pair is power and the second pair is from the fixture. Connect the whites from each pair together and wire the switch between the blacks.

rick

scubar

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. The switch works fine and the voltage was likely feed through another lamp.

Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks