120V walkway lights linstallation

Users who are viewing this thread

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a half dozen 120V 3 tier pagoda lights I'd like to install along a new walkway what I am building. I guess the question to you is how would you do this? I could run 1/2 inch SCH 40 between buried bell boxes and mount the light on top of a relatively short pipe nipple off of the bell boxes, but those bell boxes aren't going to be water tight and under the ground and I think that would be a problem. Maybe it doesn't matter if I run THWN and use silicon filled wire nuts. I could cement over the entire bell box. That would make it water tight, but it would be a PITA to replace a broken light.

Or should I just forget that whole mess and go with UF wire, silicon filled wire nuts and perma posts http://www.berkeysupply.com/product-714.html ? I initially thought this didn't meet code, but now I'm not so sure.

Or something else maybe?

-rick

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The boxes cannot be buried or below grade at all. Also, the PVC alone cannot support the boxes.

Or should I just forget that whole mess and go with UF wire, silicon filled wire nuts and perma posts http://www.berkeysupply.com/product-714.html ? I initially thought this didn't meet code, but now I'm not so sure.

Or something else maybe?
This is what I would do. I am partial to Arlington's Garden Post. They have a provision for a receptacle if you want. That or the box can be blanked off. Either way the splice is accessible without removing the fixture.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In the olden days I would:

Cut pieces of 2" PVC/ABS as short/long/high/low as you'd like.

Notch the 2" stubs to clear the PVC 90's and cement/mortar them in place.

Drill a 1/2" hole in a 2" cap and mount the fixture with a short/close nipple.

Now they make Rocket Posts/ Perma Posts.

I have also installed PVC jboxes in the ground, slightly above grade and installed the fixtures on nipples into the appropriate jbox cover. This method leaves the fixture/hardware very vulnerable to damage in most applications.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I had not seen the Garden Posts before. They are much nicer looking than a jbox above ground. Anyway I'll either go with those or the Perma Posts.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks