Cast Iron joint question...

Users who are viewing this thread

doc5md

Reaction score
How easy/hard is it to remove a lead joint in order to facilitate removal of the coupling; then connect to PVC with a banded fernco, etc?
Thanks,
Quinn

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
I have drilled out the lead and cleaned up the hub with a side grinder with wire brush. The other option if it is vertical is to melt the lead out. Tho I have drilled and then used the torch. Then use a fernco hub to PVC bushing. It is rubber and goes in with a hammer! Very good seal.

If you are connecting to the non hub side of the pipe you need a banded coupler unless you are out side and burying it.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can break the pipe down to the hub and use a sawzall to cut a slice of the old pipe out, then chisel it out. If I transition to PVC, I use soil adapters instead of pvc pipe or fittings. The o.d. is different.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

There are many ways to disassemble a lead joint. Each case is different depending on the size, the accessibility, and the tools you have available. The easiest way is usually to cut the cast iron off and use a No-Hub coupling.

doc5md

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers so far, I'll try to post a picture of what I am planning later tonight.
But essentially, I have a CI wye in the basement on the main stack going out. It is connected to PVC and leaking. Below that is a cleanout, also seeping. I am redoing some of the plumbing and would like to put PVC back in. Ordinarily, I'd just cut the pipe above and below, but there isn't easy access above. So, it would be easiest to cut below and remove the joint above.
Thanks, Quinn

doc5md

Reaction score
Pictures...

Here are some pictures. Please, keep in mind that no plumbing you see here is my doing! :)
I'd like to disconnect the wye and go with pvc.
Access to the straight portion of the stack above that weird S fitting is too tight, so disconnecting it would be the best option I think.
3548999503_b0d3f5ba28_b.jpg

end view of the S fitting
3549000539_da8e279f65_b.jpg

The PVC fitting spectacular!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2433/3549810332_ab8324e062_b.jpg
Thanks, Quinn

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
NHmaster, I didn't see a lead pick in that site. I just unpacked a lead joint today, I could have used one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

Cut beneath the Y, then apply one heavy hammer to the side of the hub, while holding a second one against the other side for backup. Repeat as necessary until the hub becomes two pieces. You will have a bead on the end of that offset fitting, (haven't seen one of those in decades), so you will have to cut that off. What you use to do that will depend on the tools you have available.

doc5md

Reaction score
Thanks HJ,
That offset fitting is wild. The house was built in 1896.
A grinder should be able to remove the bead, right?
Quinn

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks