Ejector Pump Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

gss01

Reaction score
I have an ejector pump in my basement in which a 1/2 bath and washing machine are tied into. I have taken the 1/2 bath out and moved it upstairs and now only have the washing machine tied into it. My question is, do I still need to vent just the washing machine? The vent pipe runs the length of the basement and then out of the foundation and then this ugly pvc pipe that extends all the way up the side of the house to above the roof. Since it is just the washing machine, can i get rid of all that pipe and just vent into the basement?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why yes indeed you do still need the vent. Reason being that you can't put something into an sealed chamber without taking something else out. In this case that something would be air. See, when the washer hits the drain cycle, all that water heads for the tank and if the tank is not vented all that water can't make it in. By the way, you also can not use an AAV's because they let air in, not out.

gss01

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I know that it has to be vented. I just need to know where can i vent it? Do I have to keep the vent pipe running outside and up the side of the house or can I cut the vent pipe about 5 feet above the pump and just let the air vent into the basement air?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
No you cannot just vent to the basement,you could tie it into an existing vent
inside the building.Or as it now has only grey water just cut it off where it
comes out and put 90 on it and put a screen in it to keep the critters out.
Face the 90 down.

Prashster

Reaction score
Since you're not ejecting waste anymore, your twp might view the pit as a greywater pump, which I don't believe has the same sealing requirements for health, and hence would allow you to vent in your basement.

Check with yr twp.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that even though you may not be adding waste to that basin, the outlet still is attached to your sewer. There may be check valves or other things in between, but I wouldn't want it open to the basement.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Since you're not ejecting waste anymore, your twp might view the pit as a greywater pump, which I don't believe has the same sealing requirements for health, and hence would allow you to vent in your basement.

Check with yr twp.

Even grey water tanks need to be vented. No you can not let it vent into the basement because it still discharges into the sewer. Any back up would end cause sewer gas in the house. No the check valve is not enough to keep that from happening, at least not in the eyes of the code. Keep your vent.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Why not fix the "ugly" problem by installing the vent up through a wall and out the roof?

This is what should have been done in the first place and in most homes is really not as big of a job as it sounds.

gss01

Reaction score
Thanks everybody! Chick, I am moving my kitchen and I wanted to tie the new sink into that 2" vent pipe and then re route the part of the vent that came out from the pump into the main waste pipe. But since ya'll said I can't eliminate that vent, I'm gonna have to run a whole new pipe beside the existing vent pipe. No big deal, just would have made life so much easier. I guess I can at least tap into the existing vent to vent the new sink right? So, things aren't all bad.
Thanks again for all your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks