heating system, copper to cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

mnickson

Reaction score
I'm installing a cast iron air scoop on my boiler system, but the piping is copper. Do I need a dielectric union between the two? If so, can black iron be used between the union and the scoop? thanks

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
That depends on a lot of other factors.

There are cases where adding a dielectric union can make a problem worse.

Here's some variables
1. what's going to be in water that's in the pipe?
The more conductive and the more acidic the water, more likely you will get "electro plating" type corrosion.

2. Temperature difference between the copper to steel from the steel to copper joints? The two joints have to be looked at together since it's essentially a thermocouple that can create a voltage due to what's called the "work function"

The problem is that just adding a dielectric union can leave a piece floating electrically and that can cause even more voltage across the dielectric union, which can then cause even more corrosion.

edit:
more theory for those that are curious about how thermocouples and thermopiles(multiple thermocouples in series) work.
http://mxp.physics.umn.edu/s04/Projects/s04heat/theory.htm

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heating

Heating systems typically, do not have electrolysis or corrosion problems which is why black steel is usually used and can be mixed with copper when necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks