Jet pump won't prime. Next?

Users who are viewing this thread

mistermango

Reaction score
Hello all. I've lurked around this forum for a while, learning what I can from your expertise. I need direction on a problem I'm having.

I am a new homeowner who inherited a shallow well irrigation system that I can't get going. Best I can figure from the research I've done, I have a Water Ace R10L (of course, the model number tag on the pump is blank). It is a 1HP shallow well jet pump. I live on the NC coast, in sandy soil.

My attempts to prime the pump, which I have never seen produce water, are fruitless. The pump runs, making a whirring sound, but the water sitting in the vertical discharge pipe just hangs there, topped out at the discharge plug.

The pump discharges into a two-foot long pipe with two tees. The lower tee runs out, elbows down, then underneath the driveway to a spigot (about 25 feet from the pump). The upper tee runs out and elbows up to another spigot (right above the pump).

When I fill the pump to prime and open the far spigot, water dribbles out and the water level in the discharge pipe slowly drops a bit. When I fill the pump to prime and open the near spigot, nothing happens and the water level in the discharge pipe remains high. Best I can figure, some of the water that is in the pipe running underground is dribbling out when I open the far spigot.

I have not checked the water levels in the well yet, as I do not want to cut open the suction pipe until I have to. I want to suss out anything that may be going on with the pump/discharge end before messing with the well/suction end. The suction pipe is 1 1/4 inch PVC, encased in poured concrete.

What do you guys recommend I do to troubleshoot? Any thoughts on what the problem may be? Pump issue? Air leak? I have attached a couple of photos so you can see the situation. The manual for my pump can be found at: http://www.waterace.com/pdf/R7L R10L R15L R20L and R25L Lawn Sprinkler Pumps Manual.pdf.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Attachments

• P4270375.jpg
    P4270375.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,224
  • P4270376.jpg
    P4270376.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,784
  • P4270377.jpg
    P4270377.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 4,460
Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
If the water doesn't move at all in the prime tee, you probably have a severed impeller. If it moves ever so slightly, it may be getting kicked around a little by the motor shaft but still broken. Water Ace is Myers junk pump. Then use a different motor shaft diameter where the impeller spins on. That's a dirty trick when it comes to replacement.

You can take the four big bolts out that seperates the two halves of the pump and see if the impeller is in fact disconnected from the shaft or not. Then if it is, save yourself some more grief and buy a good pump instead of spending money on one that will only let you down again.

bob...

mistermango

Reaction score
Then use a different motor shaft diameter where the impeller spins on. That's a dirty trick when it comes to replacement.

How do you mean, speedbump?

Depending on the cost of the impeller/diffuser kit, I may give it a go. Any pitfalls I should look out for when replacing the impeller? Should I go ahead and get the seal and gasket kit for replacement while I've got it open?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Most Nema square and cface motors have either 7/8" or 1/2" shaft threads. The Water ace has the opposite size that normal replacement motors have. This means you can only buy the motor from them for an enourmous price.

Your rebuilding a throw away pump.

bob...

mistermango

Reaction score
Pump recommendations and a well check question

Thanks for all the info, speedbump.

When I take the four bolts off and open the casing, what am I looking for to tell me that the impeller is disconnected from the shaft?

I agree that I should spend the money on a new pump, especially since the parts alone will cost me $50+ to repair the junk I have. Can you, or anyone else, recommend a jet pump for a shallow well irrigation system that won't break the bank?

Also, I want to be sure, before spending the money on a new pump, that the well is still good and will produce water. The well has been out of operation for at least four years (I have never seen it work). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to insure I have access to the water I want with the existing well?

Thanks again for all your insight.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
The impeller wouldn't be connected to the shaft. It would just be sitting in the housing.

Go rent a dependable pump that you can hook to the well to test pump it. If it produces water, great. If not, the well may be no good.

bob...

conditman

Reaction score
The cap on the top of the vertical pipe on the discharge side of the pump is for a primer which you need to get to get the water to the pump. Also , I don't see a check valve on the intake line to keep it primed after you turn it off. This system appears to be a sandpoint. Its just a hard point that has grooves in it for the water to enter the pipe. You will know if there is water when you try to prime it. Just because you don't get enough water to keep the pump going (but you know it's primed) don't fear. Go to a store that sells dry ice. get 4 LBs. of dry ice. Since you have pvc you will have to cut the pvc. Put on a threaded pvc nipple and buy a check valve that will screw on the nipple. Drop the ice down the pipe and put the check valve on backwards. let it sit for 24 hours. What this does is create a pocket for the water to gather and cleans the screen on the sandpoint at the same time. The one I fixed hadn't been used for 15 years but has run great since then (5 years). oh yeah , shooting down the pipe with a .22 doesn't work.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks