Burried Residentual Power Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How deep do they bury residentual power lines? The other question is, can a home owner run the conduit for the line or does an electrician have to do this?

One more thing, what about cable/phone?

Thanks

Jeff1

Reaction score
When I added a phone line, Ma Bell made me bury 1" plastic EMT 18" deep. They made the connections. I had to run it from the sidewalk to a couple inches below the existing phone box.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When I added a phone line, Ma Bell made me bury 1" plastic EMT 18" deep. They made the connections. I had to run it from the sidewalk to a couple inches below the existing phone box.

That's not too bad. I have Cox Cable coming out tomorrow to move their service ground and I'll see what the tech knows. The guy I had on the phone was not very with it, so I didn't bother asking him.

I did call the electric company a little while ago and they said I can do it myself, but it of course has to be inspected and they want almost $600 to make the connection, since they don't currently have the conduit coming down the pole. They said 3' buried, but not sure they told me what size conduit.

None of that sounds too bad and it would be great not having to worry about trees or overhead lines.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
How deep do they bury residentual power lines? The other question is, can a home owner run the conduit for the line or does an electrician have to do this?

One more thing, what about cable/phone?

Thanks

I had to hire an electrician to do the work
Inspector was sort of apologetic as he has seen the work I do
But it's a matter of liability

Not sure on cable & phone
But I had 2 more pipes installed at the same
They are about 12" away from the power lines = same trench

Since then I had FIOS run in one conduit
The other is still empty

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cable

Here, unless they have a preinstalled conduit, the cable and phone guys drag the apprentice across the ground, and then put the wire in the groove his heel makes.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here, unless they have a preinstalled conduit, the cable and phone guys drag the apprentice across the ground, and then put the wire in the groove his heel makes.

NICE!!

Well, like I said I spoke with the power company the other day and the lady gave me a bit of info, but she didn't go into great detail. She said I'd have to pull a permit, etc, etc. She didn't act as though she cared if I install the conduit.

I finally got in touch with the electrical inspector supervisor and he said he doesn't care, because they don't mess with utilities. He said the only permit needed would be for the install of a new meter can and the hookup at the meter. Any idea what the approx going rate for that is from the electrician side? I install the conduit up to or near the can, the electrician change can out if need be and connect service.

So, the info I have so far is 36" buried, 3" plastic pipe, 4" off the pole and 6" out of the ground at the pole. Bends and other stuff is still unknown.

As for cable/telephone, inspector could care less. Just had cable company out to change out my ground at the house and asked the tech. He thought an $80 fee to bury the cable, he didn't know if that would include conduit as well or just direct bury.

So my next question is does anyone have a diagram or picture of how the ends for the cable phone are terminated on a conduit. I am assuming there is some sort of weather resistant cap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks