Filter Housing Help

Users who are viewing this thread

kristof

Reaction score
I'm going to be installing a point of use water filter system and I need to choose filter housings. I'll be using three 10" slimlines. I've read that the pro water filtration guys have been seeing cracked housings lately. That has me worried.

I have a bunch of random questions relating to the following housing brands/models (ordered from cheapest to most expensive):

• No-name generics
  • Watts / Flowmaster
  • Pentek Standard
  • Pentek 3G /w FNPT ports
  • Pentek 3G /w John Guest ports

I believe the Pentek housings are also sold under the names "Ametek" and "US Filter."

Are the no-name generics total garbage? Are these the ones that are breaking?

What about Watts Flowmaster? Are they good enough?

If all I care about are leaks and catastrophic failures does the Pentek 3G offer me anything over the standard Pentek line?

I've read that one of the major failure modes is the result of fittings being screwed into the ports. The pressure needed to maintain a seal eventually causes the head to crack.

Pentek has something that avoids the use of NPT fittings in the head. They offer a few housings with push-to-connect John Guest ports on in their 3G line. These seem like a great idea but are very difficult to find. Every place I've contacted says they're a special order item. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm also curious to know if the ports contain genuine John Guest parts (seals, etc) or knockoffs. The documentation available to civilians doesn't say much.

The 3G John Guest housings seems like a surefire way to avoid the head cracking problem. Then I only have to worry that the port o-rings will hold up. Anyone know if they're replaceable?

One retailer has advised that I avoid clear housings. He stated that he has seen a number of cracked clear housings. Unfortunately, he didn't elaborate. He also said that his company (a small one) has discontinued the use of clear housings in all of their systems.

Pentek makes their opaque housings from polypropylene while the clear are made of styrene-acrylonitrile.

Comments anyone? I'd really like to have a clear housing for my sediment filter.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The few filters I have looked at with clear housings had a disclaimer in the packaging that said it was to be replaced after "3" years. I don't recall for sure but it was 3 or 4 years.

kristof

Reaction score
The few filters I have looked at with clear housings had a disclaimer in the packaging that said it was to be replaced after "3" years. I don't recall for sure but it was 3 or 4 years.

Ah...good to know. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks