How do I remove this shower valve? Pic inside...

Users who are viewing this thread

stickercut

Reaction score
My single handle shower faucet didn't want to turn off all the way, so I assume it's gunked up with hard water items within the valve.

My question is, how do I remove this valve? There was a "U" clip at the top (which I removed), but I am afraid to go any further after removing it. The valve won't pull straight out... Does it need a pipe wrench and the whole thing unscrews from behind the fiberglass area?

For the valve replacement - can I take this into lowes and find a new valve, or does this HAVE to be rebuilt with one of their rebuild kits? The house was built around 1985.

plumbing.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Nathan.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You can grab a hold of the stem with a pair of vice grips and give it a good hard pull. Or you can go out and buy a Moen cartridge puller.

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
If the stem comes out of the body of the cartridge, there is another tool you can use to remove the cartridge body, or do like I do.

I use a 3/8 doll rod cut to about 1 ½" long insert it into the cartridge body, then get a ½" tap and start screwing it into the body as the tap hits the wood dowel it will draw the stuck cartridge body out. Once it comes out about an inch give it a tug and you are all set.

Last edited:

stickercut

Reaction score
Are the pullers sold at lowes/are readily available?

Once I do get it out, do I simply need to buy a rebuild kit (which I assume are also readily available?).

Is there a certain way to tell which rebuild kit I need?

Thanks for your help!!

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Yes the big box stores sell the puller. You want an original Moen cartridge. The one in there is currently a model 1200 brass cartridge, you can replace it with the Moen 1225B plastic body cartridge. What ever you do, do NOT buy some after market brand cartridge, make sure it has the Moen name and logo. Pictured below is Moen packaged 1200 cartridge.

moen-1200-1225.jpg

moen-1200-sewerratz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stickercut

Reaction score
Such great help..

I've tried yanking it with a pair of plyers with a little bit of force, should I try to give it a good tug, or is the puller REALLY required to get these babies out?

Is the U Clip the only thing holding it in?

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Such great help..

I've tried yanking it with a pair of plyers with a little bit of force, should I try to give it a good tug, or is the puller REALLY required to get these babies out?

The puller makes things much easer. Once you get the puller attached you can give it a good twist to rotate the cartridge to help break it free. then with the puller you start tighten the nut and it will start to pull the cartridge out.once it starts to move then a good tug will work.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes the U clip is what holds it in,if pulling with pliers does not get it out the
puller will.

stickercut

Reaction score
One last question, based on that picture, nothing else should be removed, correct?

This thing is REALLY stuck...probably has been in there 25 years, but I wasn't sure if the outside brass piece should come off or not?

Just checking...gonna go find a puller...thanks for your help!

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The outside brass piece stays. The inside brass piece which the stem moves in and out of comes out. Watch that tutorial I posted it help give you more of an idea.

stickercut

Reaction score
Makes total sense now, but even with MAJOR force, it isn't coming out. A puller I guess is my only option for this one, why can't it go as easy as the tutorial? :)

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
All the working part are inside of cartridge and the outside of the cartridge
is stationary and gets fused to the body of the faucet over time.
The tool that come with the new cartridge is supossed break it free from
the body of the faucet by twisting it back and forth.go get the new
cartridge try it.

countryhouse

Reaction score
Many Moen faucets have lifetime warantees. I have twice called Moen with the model number of the faucet and both times they sent me a free replacement cartridge that came in the mail about 4 days later, no questions asked.

I don't know if that would apply to your faucet, but it might be worth a phone call.

Steve

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Many Moen faucets have lifetime warantees. I have twice called Moen with the model number of the faucet and both times they sent me a free replacement cartridge that came in the mail about 4 days later, no questions asked.

I don't know if that would apply to your faucet, but it might be worth a phone call.

Steve

The number to call is 1-800 BUY-MOEN 1-800 289-6636

stickercut

Reaction score
Got a new cartridge. Tried the plastic tool, what a waste of time for that tool! It got destroyed within seconds because it's sooooooo tight.

Lowes doesn't sell the metal one. That's the only option around here...crap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks