Down spouts and surface drains

Users who are viewing this thread

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm hoping for some advice on a back yard drainage problem. First I live in Oklahoma and my home is on a concrete slab and my down spouts terminate at the base of the house on splash blocks.

I have a low spot in my back yard that that puddles severely when it rains. This is the result of two things. 1) It's a low spot at the bottom of a slope where water flows and collects from the rest of the back yard; and 2) I have two substancial down spouts that drain into the same low spot.

A landscaper told me that I should put in a surface drain in the low spot, tie the two down spouts into it, and run the whole thing to daylight. There's a good gradual slop toward the street where there's a surface storm drainage system.

I've heard of three different options to accomplish this and I'm looking for advice on which way to go...or perhaps another option that I haven't thought of.

1. Use all solid 4 inch sever pipe, 45 degree joints, and run the whole mess to daylight down the slope to the street.

2. Use corrugated 4 inch pipe for the run to the street with no gravel, just put it in the dirt.

3. Use 4 inch corrugated with gravel above and below for the run to the street.

I'd like to get away with option 1 if I can but don't want to do the job twice either.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Doug

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since you are trying to drain a specific spot, there is no reason to use perforated pipe, if that is what you are asking. Corrugated pipe ( non perforated) is a little easier to run if the path is not straight, but is harder to avoid bellies.

djdixon1995

Reaction score
thanks Jimbo...you're corrrect, I meant perforated vs corregated. Based on your answer (which made my day) I plan to use straight 4 inch sewer pipe (not corregated or performated) for the whole job.

Thanks,
Doug

Blumengarten

Reaction score
There's a good gradual slope toward the street where there's a surface storm drainage system.

If you can divert the water into rain barrels and use it to water the lawn, that might be a better thing to do. In my area, the EPA is prohibiting people from allowing the gutters to discharge into the storm sewers, because it can overload the sewage system and cause discharge of raw effluent into the rivers. They're only making you make corrections when you well the home, but it is a cost that needs to be borne by the seller, not the buyer.

My advice would be to check with the municipality to see whether the storm sewers discharge into the sanitary sewers, or are completely separate. If they are separate, then your solution would be fine, but if they are not, just be aware that there may come a time when you have to make the corrections, so you might as well do it now.

Joy

Jeff1

Reaction score
I did mine with 4" pipe. My plumber cored the curb for me. It really helps keep the water from pooling in my back yard. Look around your neighborhood and see if anyone else has drainage and how they did it for ideas too.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yep, as mentioned the big challenge will be getting that pipe acoss the sidewalk to the curb.

I am allowed to discharge to the street but not the sidewalk.

Nate R

Reaction score
Yep, as mentioned the big challenge will be getting that pipe acoss the sidewalk to the curb.

I am allowed to discharge to the street but not the sidewalk.

That'd make my life a lot easier. Unfortunately, I can't discharge to the sidewalk or the street at all in my location :(

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In my case we have a stream on the property
Everything already slopes towards the stream

That's right, I remember Dave's house.

Hudson%20River%20Mansion.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks