Light switch outside Bathroom and more..

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocknroj

Reaction score
My bathroom is to the studs and gets new wiring and plumbing.. The old light switch was in the hallway, the fan switch inside the bathroom. Are there restrictions on placing the main light switch in the bathroom?

Should the light switch be GFCI protected. I am thinking one 20 amp circuit for the main light/fan combo (2 switches), a light above the vanity (separate switch) and an outlet near the vanitity. Can I run all these on one circuit with a gfci breaker at the box? That way everything is protected. Seems like that should be more than enough unless someone trys to run a table saw and shave at the same time.. HA!

And finally.. Any restrictions for switch and outlet replacement near the vanity. I am thinking about placing the outlet and switch for the vanity light about 6 inches above the vanity near the right edge..

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful response.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are there restrictions on placing the main light switch in the bathroom?
YES! Don't place it in the shower:) And ideally not within easy reach of the shower. This can be hard to accomplish sometimes.

Should the light switch be GFCI protected.
Only if you are planning on dropping it in the sink.

I am thinking one 20 amp circuit for the main light/fan combo (2 switches), a light above the vanity (separate switch) and an outlet near the vanitity. Can I run all these on one circuit with a gfci breaker at the box?
(NEC 210.11C3) The 20 amp circuit can only serve both the lighting and receptacles as long as this circuit ONLY SERVES THE ONE BATHROOM. No need for the $$$ GFCI breaker, just use a GFI outlet.

And finally.. Any restrictions for switch and outlet replacement near the vanity. I am thinking about placing the outlet and switch for the vanity light about 6 inches above the vanity near the right edge..
(NEC 210.52D) "At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 3 feet of the outside edge of each basin." Your good.

-rick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

If you put the switch outside in the hallway, also place an "occupied/available" sign so passersbys do not turn the light off while you are in the room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks