Seized Bathtub Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

fbskiracer

Reaction score
We have an old Eljer Bathrub faucet with diverter that I can't remove from the wall and appears to be seized up. It is not the slip on type and has some sort of screw on assembly. When i attempt to rotate the faucet counter clockwise both the hot and cold water handles try to rotate as tension forms on the pipes.

Any thoughts on how to remove this faucet? The only reason we need to d anything is because the diverter washers are incompetent now and the shower has no pressure.

The house is for sale so this is a minimal repair fix needed here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

We might be able to help if we knew what you are talking about. We don't know what you are trying to turn, or how you are trying to get into the faucet. A picture might be better than a description.

fbskiracer

Reaction score
We might be able to help if we knew what you are talking about. We don't know what you are trying to turn, or how you are trying to get into the faucet. A picture might be better than a description.

I'm literally trying to turn the faucet counter clockwise to unscrew it from the pipe and I think that is what is seized up

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Picture would help. General comment....before trying to unscrew any stems, they must be partway open. Do not try to unscrew a closed stem.

buffalobobcasale

Reaction score
If you're trying to spin the entire faucet, that won't satisfy what you are hoping to accomlish.
If you need to replace a diverter washer, you should be trying to remove the diverter stem only.
If that is what is seized, try spraying a little lubricant near where the threads meet the valve body. This might loosen the stem for removal.
If you check at The Answer Line, a website that features faucet repairs, you might find a schematic of the particular valve you are trying to repair.
Regards
Buffalo Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks