Main Disconnect Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jaxbldginspector

Reaction score
What are the requirements for a main disconnect on 200 amp service?
Is a disconnect required at the meter or will a 200 amp panel with a disconnect be correct? The panel box is not located on an interior wall right behind the meter, it is at least 20 ft away from the meter. The main wire going to the panel would always be hot with no way to turn if off without calling the power company or pulling the meter.

Thanks for any input.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I hate to seem like a jerk, but you are the building inspector. What do your local codes say?

According to the NEC you would need a disconnect "installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors."

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Mike , you know we will turn you down anytime! Rain or Shine. And enjoy it! Mel

See here is one that admitts he will stay out in the rain even if it is just to turn someone down.

Mel We all know that the inspectors are like the mail carriers. Neither rain or snow will keep an inspector from doing his job.

Last edited:

jaxbldginspector

Reaction score
My response.

If my name was Obama I guess you would think I was the President of the United States?

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Oh. DUH!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

No jax, but if you come on a home improvement message board with a name like yours why would we have reason to think anything else???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disconnect

Here, there MUST be a main disconnect at the meter so the power company can disconnect the house if they wish to avoid power surges into the building. IT can be a simple disconnect, or the house panel with a main disconnect, but must be able to disable the entire building.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The main wire going to the panel would always be hot with no way to turn if off without calling the power company or pulling the meter.

It's stupid and IMO dangerous but NEC allows it.

Like HJ says, you can't do it in AZ. In some places you can just run exposed cable tacked to the side of the building. :eek:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Here, there MUST be a main disconnect at the meter so the power company can disconnect the house if they wish to avoid power surges into the building. IT can be a simple disconnect, or the house panel with a main disconnect, but must be able to disable the entire building.

Would that disconnect be the meter itself?
Or inside the meter base?
Our Main panel is in the basement
The meter is directly outside - up about 16" on the outside wall

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
It's stupid and IMO dangerous but NEC allows it.
Why would you say this?

Very few areas require an outside shutoff. Because you are one of them you think it is stupid not to have it.

That is like saying Chicago is right for requiring all conduit in a residence and the rest of the country is stupid. :rolleyes:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why would you say this?

IMO means "In my opinion"......right?

I can offer an explanation but it's not really up for debate because it is simply my opinion.

I have seen numerous fires on cable WITH protection, especially higher amperage protection like water heater/range and AC cable. A fault on an unfused/protected cable would certainly be likely to cause a fire.

Things are always happening to cables in peoples houses. How many sawsalled cables have you repaired/replaced? Houses are constantly being renovated and often by the homeowners themselves. I think it is only prudent to provide overcurrent protection on any cable run inside a house or within reach of people in normal circunstances.

Very few areas require an outside shutoff. Because you are one of them you think it is stupid not to have it.

A lot of places in the world have seriously substandard electrical systems, You look at the pics from India and think "That is stupid" not because you live in a place with a reasonably safe system but because you know and have seen the dangers involved.

Chicago?

It is my opinion that conduit and wire systems are more safe than NM systems but I do think NM systems are safe enough.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
IMO means "In my opinion"......right?

I can offer an explanation but it's not really up for debate because it is simply my opinion.
I know it is your opinion. I was just wondering what you were basing this on. That's all.

A lot of places in the world have seriously substandard electrical systems,
I'm not talking about the rest of the world. I am talking about the MAJORITY of OUR country.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am talking about the MAJORITY of OUR country.

Bah!

Don't make me look up statistics but I will wager that a majority of current installations are not done hillbilly style :D

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Well, I'd be curious to know just how many areas REQUIRE an outside disconnect. I don't think it's many.

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Well, I'd be curious to know just how many areas REQUIRE an outside disconnect. I don't think it's many.

The NEC doesnt require it. Most places adopt the NEC in this country.
I would also be curious how many if any really require it. If they do it would be nice to see it in writing ( their statutes )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks