Recessed light in bath

Users who are viewing this thread

BJ James

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be installing a recessed light in a main floor bath. The attic is insulated. Is there such a thing as a IC /wet location recessed light made for remodelling(not new construction). I'm hoping not to have to crawl around in the attic.
Thanks,
BJ

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be installing a recessed light in a main floor bath. The attic is insulated. Is there such a thing as a IC /wet location recessed light made for remodelling(not new construction). I'm hoping not to have to crawl around in the attic.
Thanks,
BJ

It will not need to be rated for a wet location

(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

Unless you install the sprayer head where it is spraying on the light then damp location is all that is required. An enclosed trim will make the damp location compliant.

BJ James

Reaction score
So any suitable sized recessed (and IC rated) light will work and all I need is a trim kit? I assume they're readily available at most hardware stores?
Thanks for the info.
BJ

edit: I just realize that in my first post I didn't mention this light is going in the shower. Am I still good?

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
So any suitable sized recessed (and IC rated) light will work and all I need is a trim kit? I assume they're readily available at most hardware stores?
Thanks for the info.
BJ

edit: I just realize that in my first post I didn't mention this light is going in the shower. Am I still good?

Hi,
I'm going to be installing a recessed light in a main floor bath.

Yes you did

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Just make sure with the light manufacturer that the light and trim are rated for that application which will be "damp". In addition, the bulb specified is the only type you can use so pay attention to that. The problem with this setup is that people don't realize how much water splash hits the ceiling during a shower, especially when washing your hair. Look up during or after your shower to see how much water is up there.

They make recessed lights for showers with trim kits that allow an exposed bulb but I would prefer to see an enclosed bulb with trim that seals against the ceiling material. What is required and approved vs. what I like are two different things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks