water heater vent stack

Users who are viewing this thread

fozzy12

Reaction score
I'm running a standard water heater in my garage. It's a 75 gal Brad White with a 4" vent. Do I need to run double insulated vent piping? I temporarily put it in with standard 4 inch vent, through a roof flashing with a storm collar and a cap. I'm getting it inspected and rather going through having it fail, I'd rather change it sooner than later. I have ample clearance where it passes through the roof and also through the second floor flooring.
I'm in Michigan if that helps.

Thanks

Eric

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At every point, including the roof, you must have 6" clearance in all directions to any piece of wood or drywall or other combustible material.

fozzy12

Reaction score
HJ,
It wasn't a question of taking a chance with single wall, I didn't know any better. I assumed since the heater had a normal 4 inch stack on top of it, that single wall would be acceptable, leaving enough clearance around the pipe. Since I have found out differently from the inspector who was kind enough to return my phone call, I will be changing it out to double wall tomorrow. It will be inspected, I just wanted it to pass on the first inspection.

Eric

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
HJ,
It wasn't a question of taking a chance with single wall, I didn't know any better. I assumed since the heater had a normal 4 inch stack on top of it, that single wall would be acceptable, leaving enough clearance around the pipe. Since I have found out differently from the inspector who was kind enough to return my phone call, I will be changing it out to double wall tomorrow. It will be inspected, I just wanted it to pass on the first inspection.

Eric

It is awsome that you are having this inspected. I was just wondering did you install this heater on an 18" stand?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

It only needs to be on a stand if it is in the garage. If the city has accepted the latest National Gas Code, and the heater has an FVIR burner, it only has to be on the stand if a car could impact it.

fozzy12

Reaction score
HJ
The water heater is in a separate building but since it has garage doors on it, it needs to be on a pedestal. Here it also needs to be protected from impact. That means either 4 inch steel posts filled with concrete, or a wall. I chose the wall, I planned on it anyway. It is an older heater so it doesn't have the newer burner that can sit on the floor.

Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks