Concinnity shower valve - open/closed reversed

Users who are viewing this thread

SlimJones

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a newbie question.

I had a shower valve installed by a professional plumber.

After tiling the shower stall myself, and installing the fixtures, I found that the cold water valve opens by turning clockwise and closes by turning counterclockwise. Exactly opposite of what I would expect. The hot water valve works correctly.

How can I correct this problem?

TIA - Slim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some manufacturers provide the valves in left-hand and right-hand versions so the handles move symmetrically. If you want both the hot and cold to turn the same way, you probably need a different brand or style. It's more noticable on a sink...to turn the water on with lever handles, you move the levers towards the spout - one going clockwise and the other counter-clockwise...same as what you have now on your shower (if I undertood you correctly). So, I don't think it is an error, it is a design decision.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ohhh Boy!

I'm sorry to hear that you put that valve in your wall...

They went out of business a couple of years ago...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucets

Many "aftermarket" manufacturers send ALL faucets with the stems for lever handles which rotate the way yours does. In some cases a clip can be removed and reversed to change the rotation, but in most cases the stem has to be replaced with the proper one.

SlimJones

Reaction score
re: Concinnity - what can you do ? I bought it years ago and it is a very nice fixture. It cost me some $$ and I'm going to use it until it wears out.

I'll take a closer look at the valve and see if there's a way to reverse it.

Thanks for all the advice, this really is a great forum.

-Slimjones

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks