Bathtub drain slow

Users who are viewing this thread

drjimmy

Reaction score
I live in a 58 year old house built on a slab. My bathtub will fill with water when the shower is on. It will drain in a few minutes after you are done with shower. Meanwhile it fills about 2 inches or so, enough to cover your feet partially. I've put down some of the drain products you can get off the shelf in supermarket, and also home depot. This seems to clear the problem for about 3 days then it starts backing up again. I've been in this house for almost 5 years and its not gotten worse, it's always been the same routine, wait 3 days, pour some more stuff, etc. I've tried to use a snake and nothing comes out when I pull back the line. Its a mystery to me as to why this happens. Why would the drain cleaner work for only 3 days than we;re back to square one -

Oh and the bathroom is on the other side of the kitchen - so I think the pipe stand for the washing machine shares the same "exit" for the water from the tub.. could detergent suds and shampoo all be causing issues ? There is no problems ( thank God ) with the sinks in either room or with the toilet.

I have a small ranch 2 sinks - a washer, a toilet and a tub. All close to each other because the house is small, but the only nusiance is the slow tub. And the stand pipe for the washer also over flows from time to time with the rush of the rinse cycle.

I wish I had a basement to check for a clogged pipe but Im on a slab.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you might want to have a plumber come over and snake your drain clean.

ridgid-plumbing-snake.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

drjimmy

Reaction score
Sounds like you might want to have a plumber come over and snake your drain clean.

Yea you are most likely right. I guess the off the shelf stuff just allows a clearance for a small part till it all builds up again. The money I spend on all of that liquid stuff over time I could just pay a plumber once to clear out and resolve my issue.

Funny how you need someone to tell you the most obvious answer. Figured I'd throw out my issue just to be reviewed by real plumbers just out of curiosity. Im starting to find home maintenance fascinating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks