Valley Shower Handle Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

PattiBijani

Reaction score
I have a valley one handle shower that is leaking from the tub spout. I have purchased a replacement cartridge from home depot. It matches very well. I changed it out and the tub spout still leaks when the water is turned on. I am not sure if I need to change the bonnet nut on the shower as well or if I missed a step.

I took the old cartridge out and just stuck in the new one, matching the notch on the side of the cartridge with the core of the faucet. Placed the faucet stem in the same orientation as it was in the old one. I was not sure about the two holes in the back of the cartridge, when installed the holes seem to align with the holes in the back of the core of the faucet. The front part of the cartridge was a separate piece and I matched the notch with the top of the cartridge that I just installed. It seemed to fit nicely. I screwed on the bonnet nut pretty tight. Turned on the water and it was still leaking a steady stream from the tub spout.

I uninstalled everything and tried it again only this time I made a mistake and I did not have the bonnet nut screwed on and then I turned on the water and blew everything out of the core of the faucet. The inside of the faucet core was dripping a small amount of water from the holes after I made this mistake. (I know, that was dumb, I probably have no business attempting this repair but I cannot afford a plumber at this time.) Hopefully this mistake did not damage the faucet itself.

The cartridge seems to be okay. I put it all back together and the faucet is still leaking a steady stream from the tub spout.

In the process of changing out the shower the bonnet nut has been damaged on the outside. I cannot get it any tighter at this point. Should there be an O ring inside this bonnet nut? Will tightening this bonnet nut stop the leak? Is it possible to fix this problem by purchasing a new bonnet nut? I can get another one from an online website for about $6.00. I was not sure if I missed anything else or not.

I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance for your time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most Valley's used the rubber seat and spring set up. It is that rubber seat which will fix the leak. Did your valve have rubber seats under the cartridge?

Valley has been out of business so long that parts become more scarce each year. Be ready at some point to have to replace the whole valve.

PattiBijani

Reaction score
No, there was no rubber seat behind the cartridge and the cartridge did not come with one. There is a stop bushing in the bonnet nut, would that help the leak if I change it? Do you think I could purchase a "generic" rubber seat and spring to make this stop leaking?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are NO generic parts for faucets. There are name brand, and "off brand" but each part is for a specific make and model. '

How about a pic.? Valley had at least 5 different cartridges, so we need to se what you have.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Valley faucets....are easy .

Valley faucets were one of the best ones you could put
in a home besides delta...back in the 70 s and 80s....

all you need to do is get a pair of needle nose pliers
and a flashlight and smilpy pry the old washers and springs out of the body of the faucet...

they are probably so old it will be like pulling teeth
you might have to literally take a screw driver and break up the old washers to get them
to come out...

but they will come out....thay are right in front of your nose...
and all you go to do is do it......it is fairley =easy...

but once you get them out,
flugh out the faucet body with a blast of water into the tub...

then all you got to do is put back in the new springs and washers...

Valley cartridges usually come with the washers and springs...

then the cartridge, then the nut with a little grease on it

have fun...

then it should work...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valley

The seat and spring kit do not come with the cartridge. You buy them separately, and they are the reason for a faucet leak, not the cartridge. You MUST install them according to the directions because there is an "up" and "down" to them.

PattiBijani

Reaction score
Thank you Mark! You were right the seat and springs were right in front of my nose. I thought it was just two holes in the core of the faucet. I pulled the seats out and replaced them. Fortunately, when I bought the cartridge, I purchased a little valley faucet repair kit from home depot that included the two seats and various O rings but no springs. So far it stopped leaking. At least I can turn on the water in my house now. I will send away for a seat and spring set from a website I found that sells valley parts and replace both the seats and springs when I get it. This shower should work for a while longer now.

Thanks HJ, I was very careful to note the direction of the seat as I took it out so I could replace it correctly.

Guess I'll go take a shower now :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valley

A trip to Home Depot,or ACE Hardware, would have gotten you the seats and springs IMMEDIATELy without shipping costs, and probably cheaper also.

GaryW37

Reaction score
Thank you PattiBijani. You were having the identical problem I'm having with my Valley single tub/shower faucet. Drip. Drip. Drip.

I finally located a kit that contains two springs, two rubber seats, and two white "doomaflijies".

The white things apparently go with the springs and rubber seats.

From what I can tell, I should put the rubber seats into the two holes, then put the two springs into the rubber seats, then put the white nylon things into the springs. Does this sound correct?

One more question concerning what you referred to as the "stop bushing in the bonnet nut". This white circular thing is threaded into the bonnet nut and has two notches in it. I've been backing off the bonnet nut and using a common screw driver to adjust the stop bushing nut in and out on a trial and error basis.

The thing is still dripping.

I'll appreciate it if someone could please tell me what on earth I'm doing wrong. Thanks much. Great forum.

GaryW37

rhytonen

Reaction score
Same Valley problem

Thank you PattiBijani. You were having the identical problem I'm having with my Valley single tub/shower faucet. Drip. Drip. Drip.

I finally located a kit that contains two springs, two rubber seats, and two white "doomaflijies".

The white things apparently go with the springs and rubber seats.

From what I can tell, I should put the rubber seats into the two holes, then put the two springs into the rubber seats, then put the white nylon things into the springs. Does this sound correct?

One more question concerning what you referred to as the "stop bushing in the bonnet nut". This white circular thing is threaded into the bonnet nut and has two notches in it. I've been backing off the bonnet nut and using a common screw driver to adjust the stop bushing nut in and out on a trial and error basis.

I'll appreciate it if someone could please tell me what on earth I'm doing wrong. Thanks much. Great forum.

GaryW37

I'm having the same problem as these other two.
I replaced the cartridges, springs (the new ones are a little thicker and even harder to adjust,) white inserts, and seals.

The "Hot" side handle has cracked, due to having to tighten the cartridge nut so much to stop leaking (which now is ineffective.)

Is there some problem perhaps with the round channel, that holds the spring, white insert, and seat?

Can, or should, I ream or clean that "seat tube" somehow? (wiping doesn't clean it, but I don't know if that's the problem anyway.) The new seats don't seem to move easily inside their "tube" oe channel.

What is the functional sealing surface of that channel - walls, bottom, or both? What would clean it, and wouldn't "reaming" just wear it enough to leak? Is it tapered or straight bore? (maybe just a perfctly sized drill...by hand, of course)

Also, the seats' sealing sufaces seem to become damaged too soon. How critical is their sealing surface? I just rebuilt these a year ago, and now the "Hot" drips no matter what I replace. (Next time at ACE I'm getting the big contractor package of seals - not just two...and, I need a handle.)

Please answer these many posts on the same subject...

Thanks!

larrytate

Reaction score

GaryW37

<p>
Great thread. After replacing the cartridge and the rubber seats and springs, my shower was still leaking.
Plumbing supply.com sells a tool that tightens the bushing in the bonnet nut. The part number is V1001 under Valley single
handled shower faucet parts. Tightening the bushing with the tool fixed my leak. Thanks again.

greg13

Reaction score
valley

The seat and spring kit do not come with the cartridge. You buy them separately, and they are the reason for a faucet leak, not the cartridge. You MUST install them according to the directions because there is an "up" and "down" to them.

How do i tell which is up and down? I have valley II hot water shower that is leaking is this likely the issue? is danco 80686 the correct replacement part? is there a better part? thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks