PEX quick disconnect or crimp?

Users who are viewing this thread

ofblong

Journeyman Industrial Mechanic, Electrical Apprent
Reaction score
Right now I have both crimp fittings and quick disconnect fittings on the PEX in my house. The only differences I have found so far...

Crimp

1. Requires a tool to install
2. made of copper
3. Costs 1/2 as much as copper fittings

Quick Disconnect

1. No tools required to install
2. Plastic
3. costs same as copper fittings

Other than that I am wonder what other differences there are. I have found that I like the quick disconnect better than the crimp do to the fact you can swivel them (just like air fittings) to screw them into whatever your screwing them into.

Just so you know I am not a plumber. I am an Journeyman industrial Mechanic, electrical apprentice. But thats why I am asking this ? because I am not a plumber... I dont do plumbing for a living and I dont install plumbing. I will help friends/family out when asked and will do it for my own needs of my house but thats as far as I go.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's funny They used to be so good when Wirsbo/Uphonor held the Patent Rights. Then the Patent Rights ran out they went to the Expansion system and the "Bad" Propaganda started...

Want to see something...Go out and look under the hood of your car...
Do you see any ssc clamps? I wonder why they work so well in the automotive world with the temperature extremes and vibrations cars experience? Surely the temperature controlled, static location life is just to tough for them.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, my first set of SSC clamps when I started the project were Uponor/Wirsbo, then they "stopped" making them. I still used their tubing but had to finish with Zurn/Watts SSCs

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Do you have Zurn fittings? Or, just the crimp rings?
I never used the Zurn fittings. I thought they were junk and I guess I was right cause they had problems.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh okay... I was just curious... In Middlesex area myself.

Yea, the zurn brass fittings have a habit of breaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks