Replacing parts in 40-year old house.

Users who are viewing this thread

ARJ

Reaction score
This is my first plumming catastrophe - plz help!
My tub/shower was installed with Kohler parts. I have had them identified by Kohler but am finding out the particular stems will be $35-$40 to replace. If I were to go bare-bones, to the pipes, could I put on something different or would I have to stay with Kohler?

Thanks in advance!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to repair/rebuild the old Kohler's then you will have to use Kohler parts. If you want to basically start over, then choose whatever brand you like. By starting from scratch, you will be able to bring your fixtures up to date with anti-scald. Personally, I like Delta, but I don't want to turn this into a brand battle.

ARJ

Reaction score
By rebuild do you mean switching out the pipes (soldering/sawing/everything)? I've seen replacement kits at HD & Lowe's for Price Pfister and Danco. If those replaced stems/seats would that be enough?

ARJ

Reaction score
By rebuild do you mean switching out the pipes (soldering/sawing/everything)? I've seen replacement kits at HD & Lowe's for Price Pfister and Danco. If those replaced stems/seats would that be enough? Will they be at all compatable with the piping back there?

The Kohler stems I need to replace are $35 alone. I'd like not to spend a fortune.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you keep your existing Kohler valve I would use Kohler Parts. Price Pfister is another brand entirely and will not fit a Kokler Valve. It would be like putting a Nissan Sentra taillight on your Chevy Malibu....

Danco is a manufacturer that makes replacement parts for all brands of valves. They may make the right part for your valve, but it has to be a perfect match for your valve and the quality may not be the same as Kohler OEM parts. I have had some problems with Danco replacement parts.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If PP parts would fit in a Kohler, then Kohler couldn't charge you 40 bucks with 3 week lead time! If you have access from the back of the wall, you could replace the whole valve with a mainstream brand like Moen or Delta. But your Kohler is probably a good unit. Why not just accept the fact that when your Caddy needs repairs, they are going to soak you for parts. It won't happen all that often.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are in for some fun

I dont mean to be mean

but if you dont know that much about the Kohler faucet
or how to repair it, I hope at least you have some shut off
valves to that tub faucet....

if you have never done anything like this before, you are bound for troubles....

changeing out Kohler parts alone can be a nightmare, with
them sometimes not even fixing the problem...

be careful

408George

Reaction score
What brand should I use for r/r shower tub faucets in rental units?

If you want to repair/rebuild the old Kohler's then you will have to use Kohler parts. If you want to basically start over, then choose whatever brand you like. By starting from scratch, you will be able to bring your fixtures up to date with anti-scald. Personally, I like Delta, but I don't want to turn this into a brand battle.

I have some 45+ y/o 1 BR apartments that I'm beginning to changing out existing Price-Pfister 3 handle shower & tub faucets with old 1/2" IP to "newer" single handle anti-scald fixtures using copper. I would like to be able to select a basic shower & tub faucet unit between AS, Delta, PP, Kohler and Moen commonly found at my local HD, Lowe's or OSH. When I began checking the price of the single valve replacement cost ranged from $12 to $60 with varying degrees of difficulty to repair and replace. Now I'm wondering if I'm violating the "kiss rule" or "keep it simple stupid" by upgrading? I would like to get some feedback pro and con on this and the different faucet brands mentioned??:confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks