URINE smell in shower!

Users who are viewing this thread

tracy4608

Reaction score
I have noticed a urine smell coming from the shower for the last 8 weeks. I have bleached, cleaned the drain out, and used baking powder to try and get rid of the odor. It is strongest when the shower is turned on. When it was very cold for a few days, the odor went away. Now that it has warmed up again, the odor has returned. We have lived here for 10 years and I have never experienced this before.

Ideas?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sewer smells in bathrooms are often the result of a clogged vent pipe. Did you have a lot of snow and/or sleet recently?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
you got mice

Mouse urine is really strong, the warmer the temperature.

Set traps in the home, near this area and see if you catch any.

Any urine from a human being in your home is instantly diluted through the plumbing system ie toilet.

If you have family pets like a cat or dog, this might be the culprit as well, including really old men with prostate problems that are vision impaired and barely walking with a cane.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am leaning with Redwood...I think it might be tile floor...

tracy4608

Reaction score
Urine smell, cont.

Yes we have a tile floor. Why does the smell usually occur once the shower has been turned on? Why did the smell cease to exist when the weather was very cold? No snow or sleet where we live...

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Yes we have a tile floor. Why does the smell usually occur once the shower has been turned on? Why did the smell cease to exist when the weather was very cold? No snow or sleet where we live...

When urine is dry it does not smell as much. BUt when you run the shower you're adding humidity to the bathroom. Thats why it smells more when you run the shower. Try using lysol concentrate on the floor. Bleach doesn't work nearly as well.

tracy4608

Reaction score
Urine smell, continued

How will that cause there to be no smell when it is very cold outside? I will try the concentrate.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No idea... but, if a shower is not constructed properly, it can start to smell pretty raunchy like a swamp. I'd consider asking this over at www.johnbridge.com - they may have some ideas.

Cookie

Reaction score
This is my guess, I think it is from the tile floor being compromised and is full of water from mutiple showers and it is trapped beneath the tile but above the liner. When the temp is high bacteria reproduce and gives you the strong smell. When the temp drops the odor is less noticeable but still there. The only cure might be is to tear up the shower floor and replace it. If this is the problem, you might want to look into a tile guy or a plumber for some help if you havent already.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks