decreasing xmas lights lenght

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good morning folks. Is it very bad to shorten xmas lights? The porch roof is only 18 ft and I have 25 ft of xmas lights. I don't want any hanging wires with lights to make it looks nice. If it's ok, I will do it next year. :)

Thanks.

Cookie

Reaction score
To me, it is not a good idea to cut and shorten an outside wire, because water could find a way in and short it out. Unless, you buy a kit, for about 20 bucks, it is used for underground (splice) repairs, that is good, it might be way overkill but, that is what I would do. There might be easier cheaper ways, or buy a new strand which fits.

Or, I would just be creative in my hanging of the few extra feet.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
To me, it is not a good idea to cut and shorten an outside wire, because water could find a way in and short it out. Unless, you buy a kit, for about 20 bucks, it is used for underground (splice) repairs, that is good, it might be way overkill but, that is what I would do. There might be easier cheaper ways, or buy a new strand which fits.

Or, I would just be creative in my hanging of the few extra feet.

Good answer and if I had a way of doing so I would give you a cookie, wait a minute you are a cookie :D :D

All jokes aside that was a very good answer.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many of those strings of mini bulbs are designed to be "X" many bulbs. The bulbs are NOT 120 volt bulbs. They are low voltage, in series. For example, each bulb in a 30 bulb string might be a 4 volt bulb. If you cut the wires, even if you manage to get them splice back together so the bulbs light up, you will now have....lets say 6 volts across each bulb. They will be brighter and will burn out sooner.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
light

If the strand has an outlet on the end of it, then there are three wires and two of them have to be connected together to create the light circuit. Removing bulbs changes the voltage of the remaining ones, just as allowing burned out ones to stay in the circuit using the shunt wire to bridge it does.

Probedude

Reaction score
If the strand has an outlet on the end of it, then there are three wires and two of them have to be connected together to create the light circuit. Removing bulbs changes the voltage of the remaining ones, just as allowing burned out ones to stay in the circuit using the shunt wire to bridge it does.

Not necessarily. C7 and C9 bulbed lights run at 120V and are commonly constructed using zip cord with the individual sockets 'biting' through the zip cord insulation. There's a plug on one end, a socket on the other, a 2 conductor zip cord and 25'ish sockets and lamps in between. No 3rd wire.

For the mini-bulbs where they're in series, you're correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks